Replacement of heat convector issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

We need to initially cap and then replace some heat convectors which are leaking from pin hole leaks in the tube. They are currently closed on the thermostat and produce 3 single drops a day.

They have a Herz valve for 2 pipe system which looks like the picture attached.

1. For capping purposes do you only cap the opening opposite the thermostat head (2) or should both openings be capped (1 and 2 in the diagram)
2. We live on the top of a block of shared flats and may not be permitted to drain the whole system down. Is it possible to do this without draining down the system like I've seen with standard radiators that have valves on either end? - we should be allowed to turn off the pressure pumps. I understand this is not the ideal scenario to do this but as there is no significant amount of water above us would it be doable although messy.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 23.39.45.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 23.39.45.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Does your flat have a metering unit for your communal heating?
Bit like this
Under the lower blank on the valve you can turn of the lockshield and the herz head will turn of positive off.
I no the former managing director of herz UK and we did their offices in Guildford.
Didn't know that, would have been a good idea but I'm afraid no metering unit sadly
I reckon it's unlikely they'd have installed a valve under the wooden floor panels which you'd have to lift to access

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 00.16.17.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 00.16.17.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back