Replacement oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace a single oven. The present on is wired into a 20A cooker switch.
The spec of the new one is Maximum electrical power...3550W
I also says it should be protected by a 20A fuse
It goes on to say that the connecting cable should be H05 RR-F type cable or PVC twin and earth with a minium cross-section of 6mm^2.
I was going to replace the cable for the new oven but according to your "choosing the correct cable size section" this seems much overrated for this oven.
I would be interested in any comments ie must I use 6mm^2 cable?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes - it does seem rather big for a 3550W load - at 230V that's only 15.4A. But the protective device is 20A. 'fraid at this time of night I can't bring myself to dig out the info and do the sums (if any experts are awake they might know the answer without all that rigmarole), but my guess would be that the oven manufacturer is assuming the worst case of rewirable fuses and the cable buried in thermal insulation. Where does your cable run, and do you have MCBs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back