Replacement Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I am shortly going to be replacing my asbestos concrete soil pipe (carefully) and I am comfortable with replacing all the upper elements of the pipe.

I am however a little concerened about what to do with where the pipe enters a concrete base at the side of the house. I have attached a photo below.

How should I connect the PVC pipe and where? Should I chip away at the concrete to see what's underneath? i'm not sure if there would be lots of poured concrete or they have concreted on top of another material? I am reluctant to cut the pipe to fit an adaptor on because its asbestos.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
At the base you are likely to find a few inches of concrete sealing a collar/socket which maybe made of asbestos conc or glaze ware.
There is a good chance you may crack this joint if you investigate then you would gave to remove the entire socket.

An easier way if you are happy with the integrity of the last section of soil pipe is to remove the upright at the elbow and insert the pvc pipe into the socket and seal.

Pete

This what I did and advised others to do. I hope it helps.
You can cut it off, so the cut is at a right angle acroos the pipe close to the ground and use the fitting in the thread I have added. Failing that dig it out and use the correct fitting, Sewage is a crap thing to have leaking so try to do it right.

Tony

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146930&highlight=

Sponsored Links
thanks for the comments

I would only cut it as a last resort for obvious resons and if I did I would dress up in a spaceman outfit and keep it very moist and cut by hand! Based on what you have said I may try and take the pipe down to the last curved join that goes into the concrete and use the adptor that you mention to push into that? It would get rid of most of the pipe but minimise the possible damage to underground bits.

I may paint the remaining asbestos pipe in Black paint so that it looks a bit better too.

This has been a whopper of a job. I haven't got to the section in the photo yet because it took me 2 days to remove the top section and pipe going through the wall. One of the sockets was in the wall and fully encased in concrete. The walls are 2 ft thick. :mad: :!:

I have now got a hole in the wall (stone and lime mortar) about 1 ft diameter. To secure the new plastic pipe am I ok to put the pipe in position and pack around it with stone and lime mortar? Am i likey to cause it to crack due to any thermal expansion etc?

Still havent decided what to do at the base of the stack but am contemplating some "gentle" chipping at the concrete..

Thanks for any help in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back