Replacement work van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I currently have a 04 plate transit, with 160k, a bit battered.

I'm thinking of replacing it with something newer, smarter, maybe something I can get sign written and keep for a while.

I was automatically going to go for a transit but there are other, maybe better vans out there...hence my question.

What can you guys recommend? What do you drive?

Needs to be transit size, (can load 8x4 sheets) ideally 2 side sliding doors. Does carry a lot of weigh, so needs a bit of poke.

Budget...? Not sure around £3500? £4000

Sponsored Links
Stick with the transits, I always had them, never no major issues, reliable and good work horses.
I was persuaded by my chippie to get the Vauxhall Vivaro, although nice to drive, its the biggest piece of rubbish Ive had.
70k now on the clock, the past 3 months, 3no steering pumps, then steering rack, as Vauxhall said the rack is blowing the pumps.
Had it back 2 days new alternater, following day started loosing power, all dash lights on, waiting for new ecu unit.
Loads of other niggly bits, I will keep it till xmas, but changing back to transit.
The only good thing about the vivaro is, it has a hook on the dash to hang your curry bag.

Stick with the transits, I always had them, never no major issues, reliable and good work horses.
I was persuaded by my chippie to get the Vauxhall Vivaro, although nice to drive, its the biggest piece of rubbish Ive had.
70k now on the clock, the past 3 months, 3no steering pumps, then steering rack, as Vauxhall said the rack is blowing the pumps.
Had it back 2 days new alternater, following day started loosing power, all dash lights on, waiting for new ecu unit.
Loads of other niggly bits, I will keep it till xmas, but changing back to transit.
The only good thing about the vivaro is, it has a hook on the dash to hang your curry bag.

thanks for that.

i was reading a ebay listing of a vivaro for sale where he had most of what you listed replaced!! also they are only 1.9 90bhp. which is less than the base transit.

Sponsored Links
Another vote for transit, I have the newer shape one, medium roofline, its brilliant and has enough space for shelving with floor space to put a full heating system or bathroom suite in.

Workhorse of Britain! :D

Also a reliable van I have not suffered as my uncle has with all his vivaros (3 of them, all problematic)

Alex

my 2p - vivaros are horsesh!t. im a citroen dispatch man myself, love them. although obviously transits are bulletproof too.

My 2p...

Throughout my employment i've mainly had transits, right from the S reg smiley grill ones through to a 54 plate, always been new and on 3 year contracts, the older ones were more rugged although old now, the later newer ones not so, the company had about 100 transits 54,55 plate ones at that time nationwide and there was at least one a week breaking down, now these were brand new :eek:

My local ford dealer where mine spent a lot if its time told me we were lucky its under warranty (3 years) and also a lease vehicle as transits do seem to get expensive once out of warranty and you have to start paying for the parts.

More recently i've had an iveco daily, urghh....never again, glad it wasn't mine. Movano, good for fitting windows out of, low floor, near vertical sides, pretty nippy, good for 100 loaded up, poor steering lock and a pain to park up.

Current van is a 59 plate citroen dispatch, wouldn't of been my choice but i'm just glad to have a job. As a service engineer its perfect but the odd time i need to fit a pair of french doors or have a long dgu to fit in a conny roof then the van becomes useless. As well as that its well under powered, the gearstick gets in the way of your left knee, the handbrake is jammed in between the seat and door.

Only got a year left on the lease for the vans now and it really can't come soon enough, as for what we'll have next i don't know, the MD has said the engineers will be consulted as we drive them not him, hope the guys don't vote for transits, hope we don't have french again, i'd be happy with a current model movano but they'll be others to consider in a year.

Bet we get transits lol! :D

I'm currently running around in an 09 plate transit, base model 190 with the 2.2L diesel and it's been fine although I do agree with the comment about them not being as good a quality as the older ones.
I've also driven citroens and the odd reanult and can't say I'd buy one myself. Secretly though I still really long for my old LDV sherpa with the 2L perkins lump, ok so it was about as fast as a wheelbarrow and about as agricultrual but it was so easy to drive and manouver especially around town and economical with it :D

transits or merc sprinters all the way , cheaper vans citreons and renaults are ok but wont run as hard as transits , tried and tested most vans over the years we are a building company so heavy loads 8x4s timber on roof racks and always revert back t transits.

happy shopping

i swear by iveco daily xlwb. had one now near 2 year and only had to vhange the clutch wear and tear as its a 03 plate. ive done 85000 miles in it and wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. same with any diesel keep it serviced including diff and gear box oil and it should look after you

My mechanic swears by front wheel drive MK 6 Transits!!
Mines a T300 75hp, not hugely fast but not afraid of hills either.
120,000 miles later and only let me down once - a new starter motor..........

OK, only a travelling public here, but I hired a van from Enterprise a few weeks back and there were a bunch of surprising extras;

• 1. Reversing beepers. I mean... when is this not a good idea?
    2. Satnav... with a graphic of a Renault F1 car!

OK, I ran out of ideas, but the Renault was an awesome van for a couple of weeks...

If u want a van that will take what ever **** you want give it choose a sprinter, may cost more to buy but look at what a day off work costs for repairs, if u can afford it get the v5 or v6 turbo diesels cheaper to run with a loaded van.

Sponsored Links
Back