Replacing Alarm Back-Up Battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ordered a replacement back-up battery for my domestic alarm system. Same voltage, amperage, physical dimensions and same terminal locations. It looks a simple enough drop out/ drop in job.

Please see attached photo. Positive terminal (red) top left of the battery and negative top right.

Question: Do I need to disconnect the mains before I take out the existing battery and install the new battery?
DSCN1737.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would pop the Alarm fuse out as there is a risk that you could touch a live cable.. there is no reason to do this other than a safety point of view though.

Thanks Biking my owd. Obviously there is always the risk of frying oneself with electrics. I was intending to use insulated pliers and rubber gloves just to be on the safe side.

My main concern is that if I shut off the mains and then removed the back up power supply (the existing battery), would the alarm unit reset itself to factory default settings whereby I lost my personal four digit code (that the alarm installer asked me what I wanted it to be when he installed it) and it reverted to some, unknown to me, factory default code.

I think its unlikely, I assume your CU has RCD and not the old cook-em-slowly wire fuses?

Sponsored Links
complete power downs don't usually default the panel, usually certain criteria are met on power up that default the panels.

anything with an lcd keypad would probably need the time and date resetting as a complete power down means thers no power to keep the clock time and adate.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who have assisted with this. New back up battery arrived in the post today. Very easy fit. I didn't have to disconnect the mains, simply disconnected the old battery and hooked the new one in. Not bad for u
DSCN1738.JPG
nder nine quid off Ebay.

I left this conversation so as not to explain what experienced engineers do when replacing Batts.

Oh s** it, just remove the existing battery leads then fit the new battery.

Red lead to Red Batt terminal, Black lead to Black Batt terminal, job done.

No need to turn off the mains, is there.

Then need to turn off the mains is because of your risk of touching a live wire, not really anything to do with damaging the device.

Please explain what live wire a person is likely to touch when replacing a panel battery. If one exists I strongly suggest you have a badly designed control panel that needs to be sorted out by your Mtce. company and the manufacturer.

Who said anything about damaging a device?

Last edited:
to be fair I have come across wires that have been exposed that shouldn't have been fortunately I have not been electrocuted either.

some folk damage cables putting them in and don't make them safe.

In general the risk is relatively low, if in doubt get an engineer out.

You would usually be taking the battery out without putting your hands where you cant see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back