Replacing bottom of ext door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over winter, I stepped on the door frame as I headed outside. It crunched underneath my foot*. I hastily replaced it with a small bit of wood that I had lying around:

csXseo4.jpg

I want to replace the whole of the bottom frame. Can I just remove and replace this section without affecting the door in any way? I was planning to cut a wood strip to size and use expanding foam to hold it in place, then paint it and silicone it. Is this sensible? Or is there something I've overlooked?

* I suspect it was because of moisture from the tumble dryer just to the left of the door.

Sponsored Links
Hi, am I right in saying it's an aluminium door frame which is basically a box frame sitting on top of a wooden cill and butted up to a stop on top of the cill on the inside?

Yup aluminium frame. There's a wooden sill outside but I wasn't sure whether it was essentially just a strip of wood trim.

Any tips for making the wood resistant to moisture rot from the tumble dryer?

It's more likely to be rotting from the outside in.Tumble dryer should be vented outside[or condenser] or moisture will do more damage than just rotting a door sill.

Sponsored Links
It's a condensing tumble dryer. It does produce heat though which, in a cold utility room, produces condensation indoors.

I tried to tackle this yesterday. Who wants to guess what happened?

Turned out it was part of the wooden door sill, and there was no way I was going to be able to replace it properly without removing the whole frame - which was screwed in, siliconed and painted over. I ended up cutting the indoor bit of the wooden sill flush with the aluminium frame and the cill just came out. It certainly doesn't look like it was integral to the frame. I tend glued 20x30mm wood to the sill. I drilled through the aluminium frame and screwed into the sill to stop it moving. I tend countersunk some screws from the new baton into the sill. Two coats of outdoor primer. Just needs some silicone sealant around the gaps.

Another bodge job. I reckon if I do enough of these, I can start calling myself a cowboy and charge people for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back