replacing ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me if it is easy to replace a plasterboard ceiling?

Sponsored Links
if your a confident diy,er yes.
stripping the old one out is going to cause a mess though.
i do this for a living so just ask if you need to know anything

Cheers steve,any advice you can give me would be much appreciated,i'll let you know if i get stuck.
Matrix.

Sponsored Links
oh yes! but just make sure the joists are sanded and painted BEFORE installing the plasterboard. I learned the hard way! And don't do it while watching the M.U.F.C. or you might nail your thumb to the floor...

happy trails!

JC

i think tightnuts means ,sand the joists if they are to be seen.
you don,t need to do this if they are being covered.

hi, im in the middle of the same job myself. just wondered where do i buy the tape used to cover the plasterboard joints as i cant seem to find it anywhere.
cheers
dave
p.s. do i need to put in hangers in a room 10'x12'??

look in the yellow pages under building suppliers, who sell plasterboard.
i live in the north west of england and use Hall and Rogers.(manchester&liverpool.

RE Hangers.
yes.
put your first hanger 900mm of the wall then they should be a max of 1200 apart, both ways .600mm if your going to hang anything substantial of the ceiling.

The best way to replace a ceiling is to leave the old ceiling in place, and board straight over the top of the old one, Make sure that you staggered the boards to finish with staggered joints this will prevent the joints from cracking. The best fixings to use are drywall screws.You could batten over the top of the old ceil first and pack the battens where needed if you are loooking for a nice level finish but this will take a bit more time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back