Replacing Fuse Box with RCD Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,
I've recently bought a new house which still has a fuse box :eek: So I'm planning on replacing it with a nice shiny Split Load CU. But I've a couple of points I'd appreciated clarification on :?:

1) As I live in Scotland I think Part P doesn't apply yet if so when will it?

2) I served my time as a shipyard sparky and although off the tools now I can still "borrow" a test meter but I'm not sure what to do about getting the meter tails isolated as I don't think I'll be seen as a competent person in the eyes of Scottish Power. I was considering having a double pole isolator fitted between the meter and fusebox as I believe the practise now is in new builds, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Rusty Scot

Sponsored Links
Your right part P doesn't apply to you up in Scotland, I haven't got a clue when or if it is coming your way.

The isolator between the meter & the cu is the way to go makes life easy for any future works you want to do, saves having to call the supplier every time you want to cut the seals.

RustyScot said:
I'm not sure what to do about getting the meter tails isolated
What some people do is to cut the seals and pull the fuse out.

Obviously this course of action cannot be condoned or suggested.

Be careful not to touch any live parts when the fuse is out.

But most people who do, have made contact with a local eletricity board sparky who can re-seal it later for the price of a pint or two...

Sponsored Links
Much/most/all of the feedback here is that the DNO don't give a t*** about the fuse seals.

New house - deny all knowledge.

My Thanks to All for the advice. I appear to have three sealed fuses :( so I reckon I'll go down the path of having the REC fit an isolator. As soon as I can find a phone number for someone who doesn't want to sell me Gas, Leccy-tricity, Appliance insurance etc etc.

Scottish Power is getting more and more like the AA, I'm sure they used to fix breakdowns once upon a time!

Thanks again,

Rusty Scot

Having Investigated the output from the fuses I think you right Ban-all-Sheds. One Fuse feeds my meter whilst the other two feed the biggest T&E I've ever seen before disappearing under the plasterboard. As I'm in a terraced house I suspect these could be the neighbours supply.

PS My REC will charge £82 to fit an isolator so that's the route i'm going down. My thanks to all who took the time to read/reply to this post

Rusty Scot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back