Replacing joist: solution found

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my bathroom and took out the bath to discover the floorboards were rotten. I took them up and found that the end of the joist nearer to the external wall is also pretty knackered! I think the joist runs along the bathroom and adjacent bedroom.
I found a solution that might be of use to others as well. It's a joist repair kit such as http://www.joist-repair.co.uk/Joist Repair Shop.htm?gclid=CKa0ipj6sqsCFUVTfAodKkSIbw#Joists is seems like a pretty good and straightforward fix :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You can also “sister” a new joist (bolting a new one part way along side of the old) but his will offset the end of the joist & depending on what the current method of support is may involve extra work. The joist repair kit allow an in line repair.

My joist sits in a square cavity in the brickwork. So I could “sister” a new joist and use a joist hanger at the end. Would you recommend sistering a new bit of joist or using the repair kit?

Sponsored Links
Repairing my joist by sistering a new piece of timber is probably the most practical solution. Using a repair kit if too fiddly because there isn't a gap between the joist and the downstairs ceiling. I would be grateful for advice re how to attach the new timber to the wall. It is an external solid brick wall.

The old joist sits in a cavity in the brickwork so I guess i'd have to use a joist hanger for the new bit of timber. Is it a good solution to cut a sliver into the brickwork, insert and cement in the joist hanger? http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...pecificationsSpecificProductType=joist_hanger

And finally, how many and what sort of screws do I need to use to attach the new joist to the old over a 1m overlap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back