Replacing light - House that jack built!

Sponsored Links
Marbo electrium consider grey is the replacement for yellow ... And black replacement for blue
Well, yes, and so does BS7671,
No it doesn't.

screenshot_120.jpg

Marbo electrium consider grey is the replacement for yellow ... And black replacement for blue
Well, yes, and so does BS7671,
No it doesn't.
You're right - my memory failed me :oops: However, as I said to Andy, it doesn't really help us in relation to the present discussion, since it does not tell us which (in either old or new colours) one should use (and over-sleeve appropriately) if one needs to use one as a neutral. ... in both old and new colours, all three of them correspond to (3-phase) line conductors.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Before 2004, where a 3 core and earth was used for L, sw L, and N, more than 99% of the time

red was perm L
yellow was sw L
blue was N

There's no denying the above. That's how it was nearly, nearly always done.

We only have to look at the structure of a 3 core and earth cable to see what the equivalent sequence of colour is

red = brown
yellow = black
earth = earth
blue = grey

And is it totally ridiculous to choose a harmopnised black to be the neutral because 'black always used to be neutral'.

That is totally irrelevent.

Harmonised colours bear no resemblance to the unharmonised colours.

They are two different systems, which need to be connected together in a reliable way if only to make things simpler and safe.

People who use BLACK as the neutral make my teeth itch.

On a similar note, I caught someone wiring a 3P+N machine the other day. With a 4 core SWA they used
L1 brown
L2 grey
L3 blue
N black

In this case of course, neutral has to be blue.

They were going back to the unharmonised way, trying to make it the new colours resemble the old colours.

I went berserk.

(EDITED for typo which contradicted everything I already said.)

Before 2004, where a 3 core and earth was used for L, sw L, and N, more than 99% of the time

red was perm L
yellow was sw L
blue was N

There's no denying the above. That's how it was nearly, nearly always done.

We only have to look at the structure of a 3 core and earth cable to see what the equivalent sequence of colour is

red = brown
yellow = black
earth = earth
blue = grey

And is it totally ridiculous to choose a harmopnised black to be the neutral because 'black always used to be neutral'.

That is totally irrelevent.

Harmonised colours bear no resemblance to the unharmonised colours.

They are two different systems, which need to be connected together in a reliable way if only to make things simpler and safe.

People who use grey as the neutral make my teeth itch.

On a similar note, I caught someone wiring a 3P+N machine the other day. With a 4 core SWA they used
L1 brown
L2 grey
L3 blue
N black

In this case of course, neutral has to be blue.

They were going back to the unharmonised way, trying to make it the new colours resemble the old colours.

I went berserk.

I'm confused with that.

You say grey is neutral and black shouldn't be used.

Then you say ppl who use grey as neutral make you itch ?

Think (hope) it's a typo and should say black.

If not I may have to cancel my thanks :LOL:

Sorry, that was a mistake.

I meant to put '(in a 3 core+earth cable) People who use BLACK as the neutral make my teeth itch'.

I shall edit my earlier post to save more confusion.

red = brown
yellow = black
earth = earth
blue = grey
With regard to the design of the cable could you (anyone) explain the reason and/or significance of the layout when being used in single-phase installations?
It obviously doesn't matter in three-phase.

That is - line, line, cpc, neutral.

Would not - line, neutral, cpc, line be 'safer' for ADS in the event of a fault?

red = brown
yellow = black
earth = earth
blue = grey
With regard to the design of the cable could you (anyone) explain the reason and/or significance of the layout when being used in single-phase installations?
It obviously doesn't matter in three-phase.

That is - line, line, cpc, neutral.

Would not - line, neutral, cpc, line be 'safer' for ADS in the event of a fault?

I'm not sure if there is any significance in the layout of the cable, bearing in mind the cable could be used for a 2 way switch

line, line, cpc, line.

That said, in the case of a 3 core and earth cable carrying line, sw line and neutral, I suppose there is some logic having the two lines together, then cpc, then neutral - as this sort of resembles a 2 core and earth cable.

With regard to the design of the cable could you (anyone) explain the reason and/or significance of the layout when being used in single-phase installations? ... It obviously doesn't matter in three-phase. ... That is - line, line, cpc, neutral. ... Would not - line, neutral, cpc, line be 'safer' for ADS in the event of a fault?
If you're thinking of cable penetration or melting insulation, then yes, I would have thought so, but wouldn't:
line, cpc, line, neutral
perhaps be even better? (one probably would need a crystal ball to select the ideal arrangement for a particular 'incident', so it's probably a bit of a gamble!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back