Replacing light - House that jack built!

Sponsored Links
If you're thinking of cable penetration or melting insulation, then yes, I would have thought so, but wouldn't:
line, cpc, line, neutral perhaps be even better?
Yes, possibly but my question was relating to choosing the black or grey as neutral as I thought sparkwright was stating the grey must be used and was implying that was why the conductors are in the order they are.

I'm not sure if there is any significance in the layout of the cable
But I thought one of your reasons that the grey must be used for neutral was that it is in the same position as was blue of RYB.

Yes, it is totally logical to match up the wires, as they are arranged in a certain position within the cable.

The 3 core and earth cables are ALWAYS arranged in the same sequence
red, yellow, earth, blue

brown, black, earth, grey

As I said before, I'm not sure why it's this layout, but it is, so it makes absolutely perfect sense to copy the sequences as above.

If you're thinking of cable penetration or melting insulation, then yes, I would have thought so, but wouldn't:
line, cpc, line, neutral perhaps be even better?
Yes, possibly but my question was relating to choosing the black or grey as neutral as I thought sparkwright was stating the grey must be used and was implying that was why the conductors are in the order they are.

I don't know of any reason that the conductors should be in that order.

But it just seems very logical and obvious for the old colours sequence to mirror the new colours sequence.

Sponsored Links
But it just seems very logical and obvious for the old colours sequence to mirror the new colours sequence.
I'm not sure about 'very logical and obvious' but, given that "it doesn't matter", I suppose it's at least as good a basis for making a choice as would be 'tossing a coin'!

Kind Regards, John

Even if it 'doesn't matter', I think there should be some thought and logic that goes into the decision. And I can't see any good reason to do it any other way than the way I have described. (Sounding very masterful now!)

In any case, there were guidelines at the time as to which colours should be used.

Even if it 'doesn't matter', I think there should be some thought and logic that goes into the decision. And I can't see any good reason to do it any other way than the way I have described. (Sounding very masterful now!)
As you will have seen, opinions vary. FWIW, I've established the consistent habit/convention of using grey as neutral, but not for any strong or particularly logical reason, and certainly not the reason you've suggested. However, others think that black is 'logical', even if usually for a reason that you have 'rejected'.
In any case, there were guidelines at the time as to which colours should be used.
By 'at the time', I presume you mean the time of introduction of the harmonised colours. However, although it's slipped that way, I don't think the primary discussion is actually anything to do with 'the change' - it's about which of the harmonised colours should be used for neutral, regardless of 'the past' - and BS7671 and the OSG certainly don't give any guidance on that issue.

Kind Regards, John

The industry standard is to use grey as neutral, and whilst it's not mandatory it would be much easier for everyone if it were.

The industry standard is to use grey as neutral, and whilst it's not mandatory it would be much easier for everyone if it were.
If it really were "the industry standard", then there would have been little or no need for all this discussion and argument, amongst members of 'the industry' as well as outsiders.

What do you mean by 'industry standard'? Do you simply mean that you believe it to be 'common practice' or have you seen it being formally proposed/advocated as an 'industry standard' by some 'official body' (ideally other than NICEIC!)?

Kind Regards, John

I have no hard evidence to back up my claim but the majority of electricians I work with and installations I work on use the grey as neutral.

1) It makes sense to deprecate the use of black for neutral.

2) It makes sense to use grey for neutral because that's L3, as was blue.

3) It makes sense to use grey for neutral because it's a neutral colour.
3 bis) It makes sense to use brown for the cpc, as what colour is earth?

3 is maybe less serious than 1 & 2.

I have no hard evidence to back up my claim but the majority of electricians I work with and installations I work on use the grey as neutral.
That's what I suspected, and I would suggest that what you now say is very different from it being an "industry standard". We've seen some members of the industry supporting the use of black - so it's clearly not a totally straightforward situation.

Kind Regards, John

1) It makes sense to deprecate the use of black for neutral.
2) It makes sense to use grey for neutral because that's L3, as was blue.
They are, IMO, both perfectly reasonable arguments. As I said, I've always used grey, but I'm not totally sure why I adopted that practice/convention.
3) It makes sense to use grey for neutral because it's a neutral colour.
3 bis) It makes sense to use brown for the cpc, as what colour is earth?
3 is maybe less serious than 1 & 2.
I certainly agree with "3 bis)" - but I thought it was you who accused me of 'whinging about change' when I expressed my concern (for that reason) that brown has been selected for line (even though it is 'here to stay'!)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back