Replacing marley tiles with latex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought our first house and are having an interesting time dealing with the numerous issues it's thrown up! The hall and lounge have concrete floors with marley tiles on top, some of which have been taken off / fallen off. In the lounge we're having wooden floor, and in the hall it'll be carpet.

I'm basically wondering whether we should take up all the marley tiles, leave it uneven, or replace the missing ones with new ones. My dad has also suggested laying latex in the gaps where the tiles are missing.

So I guess the questions are:

1) Is any of this necessary in the lounge where we'll have wooden flooring, or can I rip all the tiles up and lay the waterproof membrane, underlay and flooring straight onto the concrete?

2) What's the best approach for the hall, where there will be carpet? My mum's banging on about dust coming up through the new carpets and all kinds of other scenarios I'd rather avoid!

As you can probably tell, this is the first time we've done anything like this, so any input gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I gather you are planning on putting down a floating wood floor i.e ( DPM, insulation, flooring)..

If so your marley tiles still need to be level or your new floor will bounce, creak and sound hollow etc.. I would lay a latex screed over the lounge and hallway after replacing or filling (with sand/cement) any loose tiles. You can walk on a latex screed after a few hours and lay flooring on it after 24 hrs and you will have a level, sound, dust free floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back