Replacing MEch Stat with Digi DT200

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a wee bit of help with a new room stat I’ve just bought.

I’m looking to replace an antiquated Honeywell mech. stat with a Honeywell DT200 (Digital).

I’ve discovered that the original has 4 wires, two red, two blue (2 two core cables). The two blue wires are connected to the same pole – no problem.
The reds, however, are connected to two different poles. There is also a pole on the stat that has no wires connected.
I suspect that one cable is connected to the boiler and the other to the pump (although I guess it could be the motorised valve!!??).
The heating system is pretty old and has only one such valve and no rad stat, trad boiler etc.

The original stat must be about 25 years old and seems to pre date the wheel and model numbers as there is nothing on it! (Other that Honeywell)
(It’s a gold coloured rectangular box and is made in England – back when such things were made in the UK!!)

The new stat DT200 boosts “two wire install” with a 3rd connector quite obviously covered up. None of the wiring diagrams I’ve seem use this 3rd pole.

Does anyone have any ideas. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The 2 red wires are probably Live and Switched live. Its usual for these to be connected to 1 and 3.
The other 2 are probably neutrals.

Dont take my word for it though. Its not usual for there to be 2 neutrals in there so take care as it could be a bespoke or uncommon wiring arrangement you have there.

If you dont know how to test for yourself then keep off it and get someone in who is qualified to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back