Replacing old steel bath with new one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old steel bath with a modern one. The steel in the new one is much thinner than the old one. Do I need to create a supporting frame for it, or should the supplied legs be adequate?

It seems sturdy when free standing, but would like some advice from other people who may have fitted a modern steel bath.

Cheers

T

Sponsored Links
The BOSS (wife) wants central taps, and also does not like the old bath as she "doesn't know who's been in it".

We've only recently moved in!!

I'm sure the bath will be fine with the legs supplied. The likely reason for it being much thinner is that the old baths were cast iron, which is much thicker and heavier.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ours is cast iron and the misses wouldn't swap for anything! Great bath!

When our cast iron bath was replaced, it was a damn nightmare to get down the stairs. Took 3 of us to do it, and within 10 minutes, the Gyppos were round the corner on their weekly run and took it away.

One of my mates sells bathrooms (Landons) and he always says get a fibre glass bath (or was it acrylic), as they won't loose the heat as quick as a steel bath.

One of my mates sells bathrooms (Landons) and he always says get a fibre glass bath (or was it acrylic), as they won't loose the heat as quick as a steel bath.

I think that's a load of twaddle. Ours stays hot for ages!

When our cast iron bath was replaced, it was a damn nightmare to get down the stairs. Took 3 of us to do it, and within 10 minutes, the Gyppos were round the corner on their weekly run and took it away.

I broke ours up in situ with a 14lb hammer, then carried the bits down stairs

I broke ours up in situ with a 14lb hammer, then carried the bits down stairs

i have only ever used a 2lb club hammer, 10mins to break it and 6hrs for my ears to stop ringing :eek: WHAT ARE YOU SAYING I CAN'T HEAR YOU

I think that's why the plumber never smashed the bath up really. I can imagine a cast iron bath will go with quite a bang :eek:

I recently changed my cast iron bath for new steel bath, never the same, but I packed in fibre insulating blanket (foil/plastic wrapped) to the underneath, sides etc. It has made the bath sound less tinny when filling and seems to keep the heat in the bath for longer. It really does sound so much better for it :idea:

Steel baths take a while to warm up but once done so the radiate heat back into the water, especially when insulated underneath.
Maybe you could batten around the edges of the bath for extra support.
Ideally, the ledge of the bath would be burried into the wall by a few mm this stops downward movement and stops the bath seal from breaking all the time.

Why not fit mixer taps and re-enamel? Then you(or rather she) will know nobody has been there before. Also it should work out cheaper. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back