Replacing wired fuses (Wylex) with MCBs

Who said you need to take the front plate off

no-one

but if you turn off the main switch the busbar is dead

if you don't take off the front plate you can't touch the live supply terminal screws.

so you aren't exposed to live parts.

I was making him aware it can be done safely.,

"the bar is Live once the backsheilds are removed" is misleading.

Sponsored Links
be assured folks I wouldn't go anywhere near it until it was switched off !!!
No disrespect to anyone on the forum
I am quite sure you would not, but without safe isolation and proving dead, there is no proof that the exposed bar, may or may not be live when the sheilds are removed

"If you turn off the main switch the bus bar is dead"
seems rather a bold statement to me.

I advised an electrician but warned of the bar, in case you attempted it yourself , we all take it for granted, but there are some people who dont know what the main switch even does,and I would rather you be safe than sorry.
Treat as live until proven otherwise
All the best
R

Ok we had an electrician around and he said we couldn't use the newer fuses with the trips built in because the consumer unit is mounted on a wooden board. He's saying that we need to get a full on new consumer unit fitted.

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
I presume your fusebox is brown?

You are not forced to replace it, but it is certainly a much better soloution than just fitting plug in MCBs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back