Replenishing Brand New Oak Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We had our engineered oak floor fitted just before Christmas. Since then we've had a baby, had a new kitchen fitted and had several visitors and deliveries (funiture/prams etc etc etc). Our new floor has taken a bit of a beating and as we're now nearing completion of all decorating/deliveries etc I want to get it back to looking as new!

Please don't write and say "why didn't you wait" as with imminent births and no kitchens or floors it wasn't easy. Please do however give me some tips on how to restore and make sure the floor is a bit hardier. I think out of the factory i just had a light oiling (it is brushed and oiled).

I hope I wont need to sand it but there are some water marksin the hall naturally and also in the kitchen, how do I get rid of these and also, how do I prevent the floor marking so easily!?!? Is there anything I can coat it in?

Many thanks for reading and helping!!

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Hi, congrats with the baby.

Water marks can be removed with steel wool 000 and some hard wax. (Do you have a water softener, if not, water spills will more easily leave white edges on floor).
Then apply a maintenance product to the whole floor (either hard wax or wax -polish). Repeat this every 5 -6 months, in kitchens a bit more often. This way your wood floor keeps its dirt and moist repellent character.

Hi WoodYouLike,

Many thanks, tiring but well worth it all!!

Will I need to hard wool the whole floor or just the affected areas and then wax the whole lot? Yes it is a hard water area, I will look into a water softener.

Thanks again!!!

Mike.

Only use the steel wool on the stained areas. Then apply maintenance to whole floor.

Sponsored Links
brilliant, I was dreading having to sand approx 90m2!!! How does this not cause patchiness (not that i don't trust you, just wondering!!)

Thanks again,

Mike.

Because you're not sanding the wood bare again. the spots you treat with steel wool could look different for a little time, nothing to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back