Repointing?

He's telling you that it's best because it is harder wearing (which it is). He doesn't understand the damp issues it can cause with solid walls. At least he's willing to use lime and the price is fair.

Have a look at your neighbouring houses that have been repointed with cement. I bet most of them have the tell tale line of holes from an injected dpc. If you can find any that still have lime mortar I'd wager most of them do not.

Lime mortar is breathable. It allows moisture in the wall to wick away. This is important in a solid wall with only engineerig bricks for a dpc.

My house is one of the last to use lime - 1930 semi with solid walls. It is about ready to do. No way will I use cement. I don't have damp and I don't want it.

Ok makes sense.

I (as am sure you can tell!) have no idea about all of this. Another stupid question......if someone is good at repointing with cement will they be equally good with lime? I mean is it a different skill or is it the same skill bit with a different material. Hope that makes sense. I just don't want to use someone that usually uses cement try and use lime and make a crap job of it.

What material/product specifically should I ask for. I see mentions of lime mortar, hydrated lime, hydraulic lime, lime putty etc....the recommended chap said he uses premixed stuff out of a tub when he uses lime?

Cheersfor the help so far

Sponsored Links
The skills are the same. The difference in knowledge is mainly about preparation of the mortar - dry lime is highly exothermic when mixed with water. Using the pre-mixed stuff gets around that and is what I intend to do too. So I think you will be ok.

I was taught basic bricklaying skills in a Building College. The bricklaying instructors only allowed the use of NH lime and sand mortar - so that it could be re-used after grinding up.

Mixed 3:1 sand & lime it was simple to spread and point up. It was mixed in a mixer or sometimes by hand on the deck. No big deal.

I understand stuart45's correct concern for a flush joint and a churn brush but i'd suggest that its a detail too far for most brickies.

He's getting back to me with a final price using lime. He has his own scaffold and wanted £270 for the job using cement. He seems like a good bloke and although wasn't overly keen on using lime he seemed knowledgeable. So i think we will go with him, dependant on the final price.

I think his main point for using cement was that it will be cheaper and last longer. He suggested the lime mortar may need redoing in 15 years or so. I presume that's worst case and it really should last longer than that?

Sponsored Links
It lasted over 100 years in your house! It will weather faster than cement but if he does a proper job it should last a lot longer than 15 years. There may be some noticeable erosion but not enough to bother about.

Your house appears to be 80 to a 100 years old. The in-place render is original. So much for needing "redoing in 15 years or so".

The price you post is ridiculous.

The type of lime used is dependant on various things such as the climate and how exposed the wall is. Generally NHL 3.5 would be used, but the correct type of sand is also needed.
It needs about 20 minutes in the mixer, left for 20mins to fatten up and then mixed for a couple more mins.

Your house appears to be 80 to a 100 years old. The in-place render is original. So much for needing "redoing in 15 years or so".

The price you post is ridiculous.

Price is ridiculous? In what way? A couple of others seems to suggest it being about right?

I still haven't had the lime quote but he suggested it would be about £350 to do the job with lime mortar. Like I say, he has his own scaffold so no extra costs on for that.

Right. He's got back to me. The quote to use lime is CONSIDERABLY more than he suggested it may be. He clearly doesn't want (or maybe know how) to use lime for whatever reason.

So its £270 for the job done in cement sand mix.

Back to square one. I can't find anyone willing to do the job in lime basically???

Suggest you put your location in your profile. There are some pro's on here that have worked with lime mortar. They might be close enough and willing.

Alternately, you could diy it and get trades in for some other jobs instead.

ntb";p="3330240 said:
Suggest you put your location in your profile. There are some pro's on here that have worked with lime mortar. They might be close enough and willing.

Alternately, you could diy it and get trades in for some other jobs instead.[/quote

Updated my profile. Thanks. I am in Kidderminster, Worcestershire if anyone's interested and reading or can recommend anyone?

I did think about DIY but I think if I hire in scaffold I will probably get stung and it end up costing quite a bit. I am also not great at heights (although its not that high). And mainly I wouldn't be particularly confident doing it, as it seems to be one of those jobs you really need to get right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back