Request for DNO to move meter indoors?

16mm concentric cable supplies my mums house. It also supplies the 3 houses around her. Thats one cable, 4 houses, 1 phase. In a suburban area. Stop whining.

Sponsored Links
16mm concentric cable supplies my mums house. It also supplies the 3 houses around her. Thats one cable, 4 houses, 1 phase. In a suburban area. Stop whining.

Sorry, going to take the prevalent view on here, regs are regs. The agreed supply is 18,000 KVA. They cant maintain the minimum LEGAL supply voltage. Either they need to move/install a new transformer, or they are going to have to increase the cable dimensions.

Also, what is the Cable run for the above properties? They may have a far less declared max agreed supply.

I think the rediculous amount both the DNO and the suppliers make as plcs will cover it.

Sponsored Links
19 volts drop at 45A equates to a L > N impedance of around 0.42 Ω .

So a PME conversion would not be straightforward affair - it would require some investigation as it is a tad on the high side when the supply N is doubling up as the supply E (although it would probably drop when/if the N was earthed at various poles)

19 volts drop at 45A equates to a L > N impedance of around 0.42 Ω .

So a PME conversion would not be straightforward affair - it would require some investigation as it is a tad on the high side when the supply N is doubling up as the supply E (although it would probably drop when/if the N was earthed at various poles)

Thanks for that. Very useful information. :idea:

Voltage issues

Declared UK voltage is 230V +10% / -6%
DNO has to respond to complaint and will fit a voltage recorder for about a week, make sure house is occupied whilst it is there!

Ratings of cables when used by DNOs are different to IEE ratings, a 16mm cable is good for 100A

Incoming supply rating, how do you know it is 80A?

Positioning of meter
Most DNOs are not too bothered but would actively discourage one being situated upstairs, as suggested the porch would be the best location,

Overall with the conditions as stated I would initially be looking for a poor connection on the DNO overhead cables

Voltage issues

Declared UK voltage is 230V +10% / -6%
DNO has to respond to complaint and will fit a voltage recorder for about a week, make sure house is occupied whilst it is there!

Ratings of cables when used by DNOs are different to IEE ratings, a 16mm cable is good for 100A

Incoming supply rating, how do you know it is 80A?

Positioning of meter
Most DNOs are not too bothered but would actively discourage one being situated upstairs, as suggested the porch would be the best location,

Overall with the conditions as stated I would initially be looking for a poor connection on the DNO overhead cables

Thanks for all of that. I rang the DNO and directly asked them what our rated supply was against our DNO reference number on the bill. They quoted 18KVA, at 230v works out just shy of 80A. Wouldnt it be far more sensible for them to measure the resistance on the cable? They would be able to then calculate directly the voltage drop at the CU terminals.

Handy gen. Are these cables constructed any differently to cabling that would be used by non-DNO electricians, or is it a case that because its the DNO supplying the connection, many of the safety factors added to protect designers can be removed?

I would imagine it's down to things like bare overhead conductors and XLPE insulation ect allowing their cables to run hotter and therefore carry more power.

One presumes that ohms law still applies to DNO cables, so their volt drop tolerances are going to be pretty similar to installation cables.

Supply Capacity

I doubt they have a record of each individual supply so would suggest it was a "stock" answer. Certainly my local DNO would not usually quote anything without a visit.

Cable Ratings

RF Lighting has it, we allow our cables to operate to a higher temperature than a non DNO situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back