Required Qualifications

Ban, your assessment of the situation is correct, in order to self-certify, a contractor must be a member of one of the "competent Person" schemes which are being set up in competition with the NICEIC.

In order to achieve this this you will be required to operate in a similar fashion to that required for NICEIC membership, as in a qualified electrician/engineer with a minimum of proven qualifications.

The other system will be notification to Building control, as you correctly point out, however as far as I can assertain there is no requirement to be electrically qualified to do this as the work will be inspected by the lacol authority or a contractor appointed by them to ensure compliance with BS7671:2001

This last system I think will be the middle ground between your observations and those of Dingbats, however how clear this picture may become in October when the final draft is released is another matter entirely.

Sponsored Links
Although I appreciate that practical experience is the most important aspect of becoming "qualified" what do I legally require to become qualified ? To be able to get insurance ?

Dingbat,
You mentioned that you're already doing work even though you haven't completed your 2360, is this common practise ? Do you have insurance ? Do people work without insurance ?

Albert / Dingbat,
How long does it take to complete the 2360 ? Does this depend on my capability and how hard I work ?

This site is great, thanks for everyone's help.

JP

Here is an update on some information I have gleaned today from the NICEIC and the ODPM.

After January 1st 2005 it will be illegal for any person to carry out electrical installation work for financial reward who does not meet the criteria for registration in one of the "Competent Person" schemes. They will not have to join such a scheme, but local authorities are being instructed that only those who meet this criteria will be accepted as competent and thus able to submit applications for works and inspections to the local Building Control Department.

Further, no company or organistion that wishes to operate in the industry controlled by Part P (Domestic) will be allowed to join a "Competent Person" Scheme or submit applications to local authorities Building Control Department if they are not Owned and Managed by a Qualified Electrician who has been deemed competent to Manage and supervise the workforce

So JP, I think you need to get qualified for what you want to do, book the courses before they get swamped with applications.

FWL_Engineer said:
After January 1st 2005 it will be illegal for any person to carry out electrical installation work for financial reward who does not meet the criteria for registration in one of the "Competent Person" schemes. They will not have to join such a scheme, but local authorities are being instructed that only those who meet this criteria will be accepted as competent and thus able to submit applications for works and inspections to the local Building Control Department.
That seems odd, as anybody who is Competent doesn't need to involve the Building Control peeps, and the way that it's looked up until now is that if you aren't a Competent Person you had to notify BC. I wonder if this (apparent) change is to avoid BC from being swamped by applications from fee-charging but unregistered sparkies and kitchen installers etc?

I was going to say that it seems a bit rich to say that people don't have to join a competency scheme, but that if they don't they may not work for financial reward any more, and that "Join or give up your trade" sounded like compulsion to me.

But then I read it again, and what it says is that if you meet the criteria for joining a scheme, but choose not to, then you will be able to submit applications for works and inspections to the local Building Control Department. So as well as being asked to carry out one task for which they are ill-equipped (I&T), they are now also going to be asked to decide whether a person would meet the requirements of membership of NICEIC or whatever? Before they can decide whether to allow him to submit an application? Madness.

I'm not against compulsory standards, and guarantees of competence, as long as they are not overly bureaucratic and don't skew the system in favour of corporate concerns vs small or OMB businesses, but the regime outlined above is ludicrous. Why can't they, via a body which does not represent the interests of the electrical contracting industry, such as the IEE, or the BSI, or RoSPA, devise a scheme of competency verification and registration that is not onerous, and then bite the bullet and say

After January 1st 2005 it will be illegal for any person to carry out electrical installation work for financial reward who is not a member of one of the "Competent Person" schemes. Anybody carrying out electrical work, even as an ancillary activity to their main business (e.g. plumbers, kitchen fitters) must join such a scheme. Local authorities are being instructed to only accept applications for works and inspections to the local Building Control Department from householders wishing to carry out DIY work.

If they really believe the financial analysis presented in the Part P debate, the government could fund such a scheme out of the public purse and still save money.

Further, no company or organistion that wishes to operate in the industry controlled by Part P (Domestic) will be allowed to join a "Competent Person" Scheme or submit applications to local authorities Building Control Department if they are not Owned and Managed by a Qualified Electrician who has been deemed competent to Manage and supervise the workforce
Now that's very interesting. plcs are owned by the shareholders. And do they really mean that the whole company has to be "managed" by an electrician? In a multi-disciplinary business it might be reasonable for that requirement to apply to whoever sits in the organisation structure at the point where all the electrical operations come together, or it might not, but the whole of the company?

Expect more changes in wording.....

Sponsored Links
I telephoned the niciec this week they told me the 6 month trading was for someone who has been in the game under an employer somebody out of college will have to wait 2 long years to join their ranks.

So after Jan 1st, somebody who works for an employer decides to leave and start their own business. How do they get through the first 6 months of trading?

Ban, I think you will find that most large companies, PLC's as you stated, are already NICEIC registered so this is irrelevent to them as they will not need to join the Part P scheme.

CEL, the other contractor I am involved with, is NICEIC registered and thus too would be outside the Part P scheme as it is deemed competent.

This scheme is designed for the small contractor and the self-employed.

JP said:
Albert / Dingbat,
How long does it take to complete the 2360 ? Does this depend on my capability and how hard I work ?

This site is great, thanks for everyone's help.

JP
Sorry not to reply earlier, I just came in few minutes ago.
So it takes 2 years if you do it in the evening twice a week (one evening is theory and the second practical), or you can do it once a week all day, this will include theory and practice basically still 2 years, I am not sure but I think that there is an other option where you do it like a normal college but than you can't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back