Resolving damp from guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to move to a new (to me) rented house that currently has a few issues with damp/mould.

Some is caused due to poor air circulation and the previous tenants not looking after the place, but there are areas in the front that have been affected by a blocked gutter which has poured water all down the bay windows. The two front rooms (upstairs and down) both have mould below the windows and after witnessing the rain today I understand why.

I am concerned though that the property is going to be difficult to put right and need some guidance.

My thought is that the plaster (typical brick built 1950's bay-fronted house) will need to be removed to allow the wall to dry out. The outside of the bay is tiled between the floors and brick below the downstairs window.

Is this the case, or will a clean down with mould cleaner and a coat of mould inhibiting paint do the job, obviously after the guttering is fixed?

I know this sounds a bit daft, but if you respond and have some credentials in the building field, can you let me know as it would be useful for me to say I got advice from someone qualified or experienced with this situation! My landlady can be a pain in the bum!

Thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm in an almost identical situation to you (apart from that I am the house owner). There is blocked downpipe which has caused penetrating damp around the downstairs bay window, and a projecting feature course with old flashing which causes damp just below the upstairs window. I had a builder come and look this morning and he suggested that the best course of action would be to break out the plaster in the affected areas and apply a coat of render before replastering. On the outside of the wall some repointing is needed and a coat of silicone.

I asked the forum the same question as you the other day and received a useful response regarding replastering, which I have decided to do. I'd hoped not to have to break out and replaster but it really seems like the sensible option. See //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98964 for my original post.

Hope this helps

PS - I'm not professing to be an expert, just that I am in the same position as you. I'd be interested to see what anyone else's advice is. Alex

personally, I would cure the problem first, then see what happens, let nature dry out the affected parts. I would never use silicone or any other 'snake oil type' oiments on natural substances such as brick and plaster, if they are free from cause of wet , they will not be wet. bricks breathe, they must be allowed to release moisture taken in, do not prevent this , but only surface rain, not water off the roof, this must go into gutters and be taken well away from the property.
Don't be rushed by th efirst 'builder' who suggests something. You really need to ask a property surveyor (RICS) for genuine advice - I am not one BTW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back