Response to Himmy about racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sodthisforfun

What is wrong with "shout 'racist!' at every single"..."full on racist"?

Are there degrees of racism?

• I happen to think that "people who shout 'racist!' at every single viewpoint" is an enormous exaggeration. An expression used to emphasise your point, but in reality and close inspection, detracts from your point.
  • There are no degrees of racism. There is no such thing as "full on racist". A racist is a racist.
  • there are far fewer posters that "shout 'racist!' at every single viewpoint" than there are posters who post "full on racist" comments in this, and other forums, (I'm not just referring to DIY forums.)

Because it's not just shouted at full on racists. It's shouted at any and all viewpoints, about anything negative about any other minority group, how they live their lives. It's got out of hand. We hear about this in the media, certainly witness it enough on here to know its true.

I do think there are various degrees of racism. There are people who make racist comments without thinking about what they are saying who, upon reflection, wouldn't mean anything nasty about it. There are the elderly generation who grew up with casual racism, on TV, on the media, based on stereotypes and was more accepted back in their times. There are people who are racist out of fear, ignorance. There are those who really, truly are racist, think they are better, and/or wish to do other people harm.

So yes, there are many a type of racist out there.

Shouting down racism doesn't change anything. Has, for example, been on the receiving end of BAS's rants changed a view? I doubt it - all it does is reiterate that they guy doesn't know how to speak to people and shuts down debate because people on the receiving end will just think he's a cock. I am not (hopefully) even racist, but when he rants on something I've written I just think he's a waste of my time and not to bother with him.

Education is without THE most powerful weapons against racism. And you can't educate without first, listening to the reasons of racism, then talking and dispelling those reasons. Shouting at them will make people walk away - what good does that do? Nothing other than allow one of the shallow perpetually offended brigade to feel good about themselves.

Sponsored Links
Also don't forget racism can only be justifiably claimed where race was the factor concerned.

It does NOT apply to prejudice based on:
nationality,
ethnicity,
religion etc.

That official bodies make this mistake does not make it right no matter how many times it is mistakenly claimed.

Also don't forget racism can only be justifiably claimed where race was the factor concerned.

It does NOT apply to prejudice based on:
nationality,
ethnicity,
religion etc.

That official bodies make this mistake does not make it right no matter how many times it is mistakenly claimed.

Only a racist would make such a claim!!! ;)

Sponsored Links
I made this easy to follow and helpful guide for anyone who is new to the DIY forum.

The Beginners Guide to DIY.jpg

I think you are confused. You have addressed your comment to Himmy, yet you have quoted my comment. Did you do that deliberately, as an act of disrespect?
Nonetheless, I will respond to a couple of your points.
I do think there are various degrees of racism. There are people who make racist comments without thinking about what they are saying who, upon reflection, wouldn't mean anything nasty about it. There are the elderly generation who grew up with casual racism, on TV, on the media, based on stereotypes and was more accepted back in their times. There are people who are racist out of fear, ignorance. There are those who really, truly are racist, think they are better, and/or wish to do other people harm.

So yes, there are many a type of racist out there.
Irrespective of the type, motivation or reason behind the racism, racism is still racism.
But suppose you are correct in that some type/motivations/explanations for racism can be explained and eradicated by education. I would agree, but only to those who are receptive to education.
Those that are not receptive to education will continue to be racist. Some will block out their ears, minds and brains to any form of explanation or education. They seem to insist on being racist, despite the best wishes of those who would try to educate them.
Perhaps you would like the task of educating the likes of hawkeye, reganandcarter, etc? No?
Will no-one volunteer?
Then we'll have to continue exposing their racism, by shouting at them, "Racist!"
Not to expose their racism by shouting at them "racist" is to accept and tolerate their racism. Some of us will not do that.

Education is without THE most powerful weapons against racism. And you can't educate without first, listening to the reasons of racism, then talking and dispelling those reasons.
I think we have heard all the excuses under the sun for racism. Most of them trying to avoid the accusation of racism. I can't be racist because....., or I'm only racist because...... , or, If that is racism, then call me racist....... , and even, I can't be a racist because they are not a different race, etc, etc.

You can't educate those who flatly refuse to be educated. But you can expose them, shame them, and refuse to accept their hatred. Show them that their racism is not acceptable, otherwise they think it is!
Perhaps, one day, continually shaming them, by accusing them of racism, they may learn that their behaviour is unacceptable in society.
Their behaviour gives succour to extremists, and extremism is dangerous and divisive.

Is that like sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting la, la, la, la, so you cannot hear.
Kind of proves my point in the post immediately above.

It only really applies when you're saying something worth listening to, albeit a differing opinion. I've no need to listen to ball cocks.

It only really applies when you're saying something worth listening to, albeit a differing opinion. I've no need to listen to ball cocks.
It would appear that you are not ignoring me?
Well done for being receptive.

It would appear that you are not ignoring me?

Where did you get that idea youth?

It may be news to you but you can view ignored content as and when you want to by pressing 'Show ignored content' in the bottom right hand corner. This is not to say you're not still on the ignore list.

I have to admit, my curiosity gets the better of me when you reply because I wonder what crap you'll come out with next.

Where did you get that idea youth?

It may be news to you but you can view ignored content as and when you want to by pressing 'Show ignored content' in the bottom right hand corner. This is not to say you're not still on the ignore list.

I have to admit, my curiosity gets the better of me when you reply because I wonder what crap you'll come out with next.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So you have me on your ignore list, but you can't resist clicking on the "Show ignored content" to see what I've said. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hope that applies to the others on your ignore list. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I suppose it must do, because I assume, it only says "there is ignored content" but you don't know who by. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've not got anyone on ignore. Only thing that bothers me is johnd has soft mod tools and keeps deleting or editing posts which is irritating. They should at least nominate a right wing mod to balance it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back