Retaining Garden Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ALL HELP APPRECIATED!

I need to replace a retaining garden wall, which is about 3 feet high. The current wall is built on top of the patio I am taking up and the mortar is also starting to come out, so I presume that there is a problem with moisture behind the wall

When building the new wall, is there anything I need to do by way of a water membrane or drainage behind the wall to prevent water/moisture damaging the wall?

Do I need to build an inner wall which would be hidden by the soil?

Any hint of great assistance.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
I am looking into this at the moment and going by what I have read; once the wall is built, put a dampproof membrane behind the wall, and along the ground, extending about 400mm back from the wall. Lay a plastic drainage pipe that has lots of holes in it along the bottom of the wall on top of the dp membrane, this should be connected to your surface water drainage. I dont know if you can buy the pipe already holed, perhaps one of the experts could advise please. Make sure there is a fall along the pipe otherwise the water will not drain. Then backfill behind the wall with shingle. before replacing the earth. I do have a pdf which explains this in more detail, if you would like to give your email address, or if anyone can tell me how to upload to this site I will pass it on.

Mortar's function is to degrade before the blocks, and it's need in life is to be maintained, so the mortar may not have a large problem. Think about using lime mortar for the new wall (like, no cement) as it will be more flexible and able to stand long term movement.

Sponsored Links
wall02.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back