Retrofitting Rodent Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a thatched cottage and occasionally get rodents in the loft. I am concerned that they might chew the grey electrical cable pinned to the rafters which feed the bedroom lights and start a fire. Is there anything I can fit over the existing cable to prevent it being chewed by rodents. All other rodent control measures are in place.
Your advice for a novice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
PVC mini trunking might be your best option for mechanical protection, and RCD protection of all circuits would be a very good idea too.

I'm not convinced that PVC will stop rodents. Our neighbours had squirrels gnawing through their uPVC dormer cladding to build nests in the insulation.

Sponsored Links
As I see it, thatched cottage loft spaces should be wired in pyro or steel conduit to prevent rodent damage, but this is hardly practical.

You could consider floorboarding the entire loft, and sealing off the eaves.

As I see it, thatched cottage loft spaces should be wired in pyro or steel conduit to prevent rodent damage, but this is hardly practical.
It is ironic, before WWII, the cottage probably was wired through steel conduit (to protect rubber insulation from lime plaster).

If its pinned to the joists/rafters why not metal capping over it?

Thanks for your help so far. I think the metal capping might be a good idea. Would I be able to attach it using nails with large heads to fix the lip of the capping against the rafters?

Thanks for your help so far. I think the metal capping might be a good idea. Would I be able to attach it using nails with large heads to fix the lip of the capping against the rafters?

yes you would. thats the best way!

Re; metal capping.
You will have to be incredibly careful with that stuff.

Just picking the stuff up is liable to cut you.

You will have to avoid all sharp edges touching the cables.

I suppose you will have to cover every inch of the cable, for it to be a worthwhile exercise.

Which won't be easy.

Right now I would like to use the capping sharp edge against the rodent who has caused me three sleepless nights on the trot. It will not eat the bait, avoids the traps and the ultrasonic repellent appears useless. The joys of living in the countryside!

if the correct MCB ratings have been used. How much of a real fire risk is there of a cable being eaten causing a fire?

Isn't an RCD the sensible option ? (and worth while having anyway)

I would have thought a properly fused and RCD protected cable has a pretty low fire risk.

The mechanical protection is still a good idea though, as it's going to get annoying replacing the cables every two minutes, not to mention the shock risk to anyone who ventures up there.

I's consider rewiring in MICC, and I'm surprised this hasn't been done already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back