Retrofitting Rodent Protection

I did this in a building recently. Not a thatched roof, but it did have an ongoing rodent problem.

Not had any bother since :D

A cheaper option might be to use adaptaflex everywhere in the loft?

Sponsored Links
RF you see to be the pyro man :LOL: .. what would you say the lifespan would be with MI in a domestic environment?

Thanks again for your responses. I had the wiring all checked out 2 months ago and a certificate issued. I'm not sure however, that the loft was checked during the inspection. There is a modern RCD box fitted, does that substantially reduce the risk of a fire? My knowledge of electrics is limited that is why I appreciate your help. What is MICC?

Sponsored Links
I did this in a building recently. Not a thatched roof, but it did have an ongoing rodent problem.

Not had any bother since :D

A cheaper option might be to use adaptaflex everywhere in the loft?

Metallic adaptaflex is a good idea.

You could use conduit besa boxes at each light fitting to terminate into.

I suppose above switch drops you could terminate the flexi into a dome cover, and fit this to the top of the wall. Keep existing twin and earth cable in the flexi.

This way you won't have any exposed cable, or chasing in the rooms below.

MICC, also known as pyro, is a thin circular copper sheathed cable.

It needs it's ends terminating with glands, and must be done properly.
Not really for the amateur, unless you know what you're doing.

it is in effect a copper tube with 2 or more bare copper wires running through it and packed with a white powder to keep the wires seperate from each other and the tube..
as said, not really a job for the DIY'er.
needs special tools and glands for it.

a house that is constructed of, or having a high percentage of flamible materials should have special consideration taken with regards to the risk of fire..

".... devastating fires were a regular feature of Morporkian life and it had always been cheerfully and meticulously rebuilt, using the traditional local materials of tinder-dry wood and thatch waterproofed with tar."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back