riello 40 cuts out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oil burner a riello 40 comes on for 5 minutes then cuts out. i cleaned the filter bowl and bled the oil line plus checked the jet for a blockage. after trying all this, it fired up again but cut out again, any ideas.

Sponsored Links
My crystal ball does not appear to be working today.

More information would be usefull!!

Does your heating hot water start to get hot within these 5 minutes?

dont know as i use immersion heater. turned up thermostat on the combustion chamber and at the minute its working fine. i hadnt moved the thermostat before it cut out though.

Sponsored Links
no its cut out again and the reset button is not illuminated any more, im beginning to think its something electrical maybe the thermostat.

When the burner shut down the first time, was the lockout lamp lit on the control box?
Again, the jolly old solenoid coil is number one suspect.
If the lockout isn't on, then something electrical is shutting the thing down, I imagine.
John :)

sorry what do you mean by the lock-out lamp. do you mean when the re-set button is lit.

I was thinking more along the lines of failing pump/blockage/air lock, especially considering turning up the stat increased the length of time between it shutting down. Sounds like it isn't losing the heat quick enough.

Could you explain more about your current system?

Sam

i have just put on another burner i had in the shed and will give it a minute or two to see how it goes.

no good different burner same problem, goes on for 5 minutes and then shuts down.

What type of system do you have, and what does it run? How many motorised valves do you have? Where is the pump situated and are the pipes either side of it hot? Are any of the pipes getting hot from the boiler?

Sam

a riello 40 burning oil. it has two motorised valves. the pump is inside the house and yes the pipe going to the pump and after the pump are roasting hot.

how about the return pipe to the boiler, check it a few metres back from the boiler if possible.

Sam

yes all the pipes leading from and going to the boiler are hot. if the pump was gone or was stuck how would i know. after the burner cuts out,20 minutes or so later the reset light goes on and pressing it starts it going again, only to cut out again after 5 minutes. btw the radiator in the bathroom and the room next to it are hot. would this be because the immersion heater is on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back