riello 40 cuts out

what do you mean a joke does it sound like a joke. i have no heating and im trying to find out why pal.

Sponsored Links
Had to ask the question as I was surprised that someone who is able to change the burner on an oil fired appliance doesn't understand the principals of how an immersion heater operates.....

i know how to service an oil burner out of necessity and how to remove one. yes other than that i know very little about plumbing ie flow and return etc.. and i find it strange that two radiators work in the house while the central heating doesnt. thats why im on this site looking help and advice.

Ok so the burner isn't locking out (illuminated lamp on the control box) but the system is still shutting down....this indicates that the boiler is overheating because it cant disperse the hot water that it is producing.
therefore I assume that the circulating pump isn't working, or at least not to its full potential. If the boiler could disperse the heated water, then the overheat stat wouldn't cut in - assuming that all of the thermostats are working, of course.
All motorised valves should be fully open at this time - but if the pump isn't doing its job the system will still shut down.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ok so the burner isn't locking out (illuminated lamp on the control box) but the system is still shutting down....this indicates that the boiler is overheating because it cant disperse the hot water that it is producing.
therefore I assume that the circulating pump isn't working, or at least not to its full potential. If the boiler could disperse the heated water, then the overheat stat wouldn't cut in - assuming that all of the thermostats are working, of course.
All motorised valves should be fully open at this time - but if the pump isn't doing its job the system will still shut down.

how do i know if the pump is working, does it hum and vibrate slightly when working, because the pump is doing neither at the moment. btw what u say makes sense to me now. is it a case of replacing the pump. btw thank you for the advice.

Put your hand on the pump and it should hum and vibrate slightly, and the pipes to and from it should be well hot if its circulating....crack open the central large screw and you should expell some water - turning the impeller shaft behind this with a small screwdriver should tell you if its turning or not. Some pumps seem like they are working but they're not...!
Wishing you all the best with this!

i undid the central screw earlier and expected a jet of water to come out but there was only a trickle so thats what it looks like, the pump. thanks again.

Not necessarily a pump problem, could be an air lock in system.
When you take out the central screw, is the pump spinning? use a small screwdriver to feel the shaft.

Do what oilhead says in his last post and if, when you put the screwdriver into the pump centre and the impellor isn't turning give it a spin with the screwdriver. If it starts to run, great. Switch it off and back on again. If it runs then forget it, if it only runs after you turn it with the screwdriver but will not self start then it is the capacitor in the pump connector box that is faulty. However I would expect more than a trickle of water from the centre screw hole so an air -lock is still possible.

i replaced the pump and discovered that the old one was burned out in the electrical box. the burner will not start on its own now but will only start when you press the restart lit button on the burner.

When does the reset light light up? After the boiler thermostat clicks off or when the programme finishes?

Have you wired it correctly, or as it was before? It may be wired to allow the pump to over run.

i noticed that when i set the heating to come on in the morning everything looks as though it is working except that the burners not burning and then the light on the burner is lit. i use the dial with the pins as a clock as opposed to the digital clock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back