Riello 40 g2sx firing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some help/advice please.

First a question, If there is no flame established at start up should this burner go into lock out immediately or should it try a few more times.

Now the reason for the question. I went on holiday for a few days and turned off the boiler. On my return I turned it on and called for heat. I walked out of the utility room and went about unpacking etc. I returned to the room after a few mninutes and could smell oil, The boiler was cold but the motor was running and there was quite a bit of oil on the bottom tray.
So no flame but oil spraying from nozzle.
I stripped the burner down and checked the spark---it was very weak so I cleaned the electrodes and also the photo cell. Put it all back again with correct electrode gap settings and pressed the button. No problem this time and boiler fired at once. Fixed or so I thought.
Today ( 6 weeks layter) at first start boiler kept on trying to fire for some ten minutes and once again oil dripping into case. It eventually fired up and ran all day. Just to check lock out I shut off the oil supply and lock out happened at once. So the photo cell circuitry seems to know that the flame has gone out but it seems not to sense that the flame has not started and cause a lock out as I think it should
Any thoughts ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a series 400 (483 I think it is) control box. That is its feature. You should have a 530SE control box. Can you confirm the type?

Thanks Oilman.

The answer to your question is that I do not know (yet).
The current situation is that I called out the engineer this morning and he has just left a couple of hours ago. he is a personal friend. He has gone through the systen and found an oil leak at the end seal on the damper cylinder so that could be the source of the neat oil. He has asked me not to disturb anything over the next few days to see if all is well again without any oil smells, so, I will respect his words and keep out of the boiller.

I have a question for you re your answer.

Are you saying that if I have the type 400 control box that it allows multiple firings rather than locking out at first refusal to fire.

The boiler was installed in Sept 1997 and the burner spec sheet clearly shows that lock out will happen around about 5 secs if there is no flame following the 12 sec purge run.
I an an eingineer with a good knowledge of "boilers" but obviously do not have trade credentials so please bear with me.

What are the differences in the two type of control boxes.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
483 has a problem where it sprays oil for ages , and sometime time may light. Creates alarm in the locality.

You stated oil was spraying from nozzle, did you observe this? If not the information was misleading. A leaky hydraulic seal is common and would cause the drips.

Is the boiler far away? It would take a minute to look on the control box for a number.

The boiler is a wall mounted camray and the control box is at the back and is virtually impossible to see it without having the burner out. However I will get a mirror and see if I can see anything resembling a number.

Re the oil leak. The leak from the oil seal on the damper cylinder was very slight, more like a weep. When I had the big problem after my holiday I had about 150 ml of oil in the bottomm after only a few minutes so I assumed that it was coming from the nozzle as the pump was running but with no flame. There was definiely NO external leak from pump seals etc.
If I can get the number I will let you know but from what you have told me I should get myself the 583se as i presume that this does not have the firing problem being a later model
Many thanks

Oilman

I have managed to see the control box number and it is the 530se fitted !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back