Ring Junction

DCC:
No no! don't worry, i did mean to say that the ring main would be split and the new sockets inserted into the ring, hence the need for the connection in the backbox of the socket.
I understand that i may not be very clear and i thank you for your contribution, but the idea was indeed one single ring and not a 'figure of 8' arrangement.

Sponsored Links
Pff. my apologies I didnt take note of your location.

Not too sure what Scottish Regs are but i have an idea they have a similar procedure....someone else maybe can post more accurate advice for you or try google.

it depends on the Ze and the type of breaker / fuse you have..
you calculate it with the max Zs allowed for the circuit and the resistance per meter of cable etc..

the "ready reconer" ( table 7.1 pg 44 ) in the OSG has it at :

106m for a 32A 2.5mm² T+E ring on a type B breaker..
59m for a 30A 2.5mm² T+E ring on a BS1361 cartridrge fuse
49m for a 30A 2.5mm² T+E ring on a BS3036 rewireable fuse

never worked in Scotland so never needed to look it up.. but they have their own version of Part P.. it's "Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004. Regulation 5".. and "Schedule 3" lists the work not requiring a warrant.. stuff..

according to the little green book ( Electricians guide to the buildig regs ), new socket outlets require a warrant in flats and houses with 3 storeys or more.. but not for houses up to 2 storeys..

spark1:
no need to apologize! i have seen topics on here before where people say they point it out regardless of location for many reasons, and thanks for the help never the less. I will continue my search online.

Sponsored Links
ColJack:
OSG i understand to be on site guide? something it would be wise to invest in i take it?
rewireable fuse. 49m. i'll have a look at that tomorrow then.
I would assume it would be better to actually measure the Ze of the circuit then than trampling allover the house with a tape measure and notepad guessing.
would this be something i could do myself with a multimeter?

3 storeys. crap. :(

Ze, no, you need a special meter to read it..

OCG is usefull if you do a fair bit of electrics..

ok, i think i will probably just give up then.

thanks for all your help guys.

Daft guideline really - what's likely to use more - a 10m x 10m living room, or an 8m x 4m living room and 4 x 10m² bedrooms?

I understand that it all came from the same committee that proposed the ring final circuit right from the beginning, the idea being that in the post war rebuilding job, social houseing could be wired with just one of these new fangled ring final circuits, this would allow you to heat the house with 1watt per cubic foot (assuming 8 foot high ceilings)

(yes I was sad enough to read that pdf the IEE put out about the history/advantages/disadvantages of the RFC a while ago)

Is this the same committee that decided you could have a 20A cable spurred off a 32A ring final which supplies a 13A double socket for two 13A appliances?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back