Rip off Plumb Centre!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to Plumb Centre at lunch to get a few bits for a job I'm doing, was expecting to pay about £20 and came out with £53 of stuff!

Here's what I bought:

Solder
Flux
Double check valve
Isolating valve
Outside tap and wall fitting
2 drain valves
3 washing machine taps
20 pipe clips

That was all for 15mm pipework and the total from PlumbCenter was £53.61!

Pricing all that up on ScrewFix came to £19.27!

What's going on?!

Sponsored Links
I guess you were willing to pay for the convenience of a local shop, and they were willing to take your money. Sorry. :(

I am very new to all this, still being at college etc and I guess that's just a lesson learnt. I just thought that Plumb Centre would be quite competitive, guess I was wrong!

So do you plumbers buy most of your parts from places like ScrewFix?

I find Screwfix very cheep for all that kind of stuff, for boilers etc I also found Mr central heating (precede with www. and end with .com for the website) was very cheep for boilers etc. I am not a plumber though, so people may have better suggestions. Also both deliver.

Sponsored Links
I can't believe I paid that much money for all those bits, everything was behind the counter and just put in the bag as I asked for it so I couldn't see what the prices were like until I got the total.

It takes something like this to realise how much you can waste your money! I've learnt my lesson and will not make the same mistake again!

Damn Plumb Centre...

I'm too late now anyway, in a way it's my own fault for not getting the parts I need sooner as I'm doing the job on Saturday.

Has anyone bought those bulk bags of end fittings that are going on Ebay? Just wondered if they're any good?

From experience, isolating valves and check valves etc are really expensive from Plumb Centre, especially if you are not trade. I tend to get most of my stuff from the little independant shop down the road, competitive pricing, a good laugh and good advice if needed, why not try and find one near you.

MattLaw said:
I'm too late now anyway, in a way it's my own fault for not getting the parts I need sooner as I'm doing the job on Saturday.

Apart from when they cock it up, Screwfix are incredibly quick. With luck you can order 6 or 7 pm and get the stuff next day (though best not to depend on it). You can choose and order on their website which is handy out of hours.

Yea I went onto Screwfix's website when I got back from Plumb Centre at lunch. It's really easy to use and a lot cheaper, I just thought it would be good to go to Plumb Centre and have a look around as I've never been there before... how wrong I was.

Definitely using Screwfix in the future!

The Price Marking Order (PMO) made under the enabling Price Marking 1975 Act requires that all goods are priced. Now if a newsagent wants to charge £10 per Mars bar thats up to him. However, he wont sell many. The PMO ensures that goods are priced in order for consumers to make an informed decision. If you dont like the price you dont have to pay it. Thats the theory. If they can be supplied more cheaply, a competitor will supply them more cheaply. Supply and demand mate.

I was in HRPC getting a gas valve so I thought I'd get a single 15mm lockshield from the Plumb Centre at the same time - they tried to charge me £4.65 which is about £3 more than I usually pay.

I voted with my feet.

All plumbers merchants give different discounts and if you don't ask for any or be nice to the guy behind the counter you won't get any. Many of the valves I used to get on account had 80% discount. I went to the electrical wholesaler last week for a special order fuse, he told me the price was 6.99 but when I told him I only had a quid in my pocket he tapped a few buttons and it changed to 80p including vat :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back