Ripped off by plumbing charges......please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also the difference that solicitors sit in their comfortable offices.

Plumbers have to drive in a heave and thirsty van with a ton of tools and spare parts ( or just go on the tube with a bag! )

Tony

Sponsored Links
There is also the difference that solicitors sit in their comfortable offices.

Plumbers have to drive in a heave and thirsty van with a ton of tools and spare parts ( or just go on the tube with a bag! )

Tony
nar we get shot for that ;)

( or just go on the tube with a bag! )

Tony

clothing-accessories-mans-bag-small-27363.jpg

Sponsored Links
I thought that somebody was going to complain about the bare chest.

Perhaps this is more appropriate for a coooler day?

images

you come across as a awkward to$$er
Do we know each other? :LOL:

You lot want to have a day in my seat. Every merchant wants everything at a nominal mark-up.
The most often heard phrase in my job is "Is that the best you can do?"

We are currently buying 1/2kg reels of lead-free solder at almost 11 nicker, yet merchants are unwilling to pay more than £12.50 (Exc VAT) And that with 2.5% settlement still to come off!! How much are your merchants selling it to you at?

We do not have a 'minimum order' policy. We deliver for free if on our scheduled transport, most of England and Wales covered at least twice a week.

You think you are hard done by?!?!

We are currently buying 1/2kg reels of lead-free solder at almost 11 nicker, yet merchants are unwilling to pay more than £12.50 (Exc VAT) And that with 2.5% settlement still to come off!!

Yet again you miss the point, we come to you, you set the price, your only overhead is the dead money while waiting to sell your ever appreciating stock. How often do you go on till training courses, have HRMC crwaling up your rear end and are targeted by Watchdog?

Where do you work? I cannot wait to hear you response to me bartering the invoice once the goods are loaded on the van :evil:

Err, the bartering was done before he'd even opened the back door of his van to get his toolbox out.
He didn't walk, so must have been happy with the price.

Or maybe that's why he put the damned thing where he did.
I see no comment on the siting of the connection - behind the washing machine.
Please don't tell me you think that acceptable.

I feel so angry about this......or am I being unreasonable.
Not cheap, but it could well have been a pig of a job.

What I find odd, is that you know your dad is old and apparently feeble, but still you didn't bother to help him find somebody to do the job, but you can find the time to come on here and whinge about it.

A so called friend of mine, was doing a house up. He though nothing of paying the plasterer £340 for 2 days work,(skimming only) then moaned that I was ripping him off, by charging £50
WTF?

:
told you spreading was the Way to Go :LOL: . though that was about £40 too much ;)

All of the personal stuff aside of course your father's been overcharged.

£600 to repair a boiler is outrageous. Any decent guy would have put your father onto the manufacturer for a Fixed Price repair if they thought cost of repair was going to be in that region or advised to replace the boiler.

Worcester currently charge about £230 for a FP repair and that includes three main components such as gas valve, fan and PCB.

You can buy a rated combis with two year warranty from about £530 plus of course fitting.

Any decent guy would have put your father onto the manufacturer for a Fixed Price repair

Why do people do this?

Customer...can you fix my boiler.

Gas Engineer..yes i can. However one of my competitors will be able to do you a better deal so you will be better using them.

Imagine going onto Tesco and seeing a big sign saying "Why not go to Asda, you will get a better deal"

Crazy

It's called looking after your customers and having a conscience.

I do it to give the customer a chance of getting the boiler repaired cheaper than I can afford to do it for.

£600 to replace a plate heat exchanger on a (how old?) boiler is outrageous when there's no need for a customer to pay that by being advised to go on a home-care contract with BG which would have been the most appropriate in this particular case given the customer's age or by going to WB for a FP repair at £230.

Vokera PCBS for some of their boilers are £290 inc vat so do I charge a customer over £400 to replace one or inform them that Vokera will replace it for £170?

Tony

A so called friend of mine, was doing a house up. He though nothing of paying the plasterer £340 for 2 days work,(skimming only) then moaned that I was ripping him off, by charging £50
WTF?

:
told you spreading was the Way to Go :LOL: . though that was about £40 too much ;)

Cheers Nige, I got the feeling, he thought it was £40 too much as well. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My procedure is the same as Tony does. I charge to diagnose the fault and if the part is cheaper supplied on a fixed price repair than thats what I advise to the customer.

Recently I was asked to replace a Suprima PCB which costs about £170 so I suggested a BG repair at about £190 would be cheaper for him.

The customer said that he had such bad experiences with BG in the past that he preferred to pay me £254 rather than having them in the house!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back