Robust Method For Screwing Newel Post to Stretcher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20240328_121204185.jpg

I'm looking for the most robust method of screwing the newel post to the stretcher.

Would it be better to drill a large pilot hole through the side of the newel post so that screw threads only grip the stretcher, thereby pulling the post closer to the stretcher? Or pilot drill through both so that the screw threads only grip the other side of the newel post, squeezing all three together?

How many screws on each side? Keeping in mind each veneered screw cap will still have an aesthetic impact.

Sponsored Links
I hate to say it but your mortise slot seems a bit on the large side?
Don’t forget that although the top of the newel provides a long lever, the handrail also holds everything together.

Don’t try to pull the sides together, it will split.
When I have done it I used dowels all the way through.

Sponsored Links
keep in mind the dead centre off the newel/string and handrail should line up exactly so you need to work out where the packing or support needs to go so when the glue and fixings are applied it sits central strait level and plumb and not rotated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back