Rodent proof cable

Rats and squirrels can eat through adaptaflex, metal capping and hituf. I suggest a BSA .22 Supersport.

Sponsored Links
Wire it in singles.

Have the cpc incredibly well protected, and use bare air-spaced conductors for L&N.

Remove all chance of the little b*gg*rs being saved by an RCD - let them fry.

plus_one.gif

Sponsored Links
A possible alternative strategy!

Ultrasonic plug in rodent devices can be quite effective and not expensive. All you would need is an accessible socket under the floor in a couple of places if that is possible. Plug and forget although I'm not sure how you know if they stop emitting. Rodents come back, I presume. Safe for kids and cats and dogs as operate above 50KHz.

Got ours from Costco for use in our old Victorian house, with big gaps everywhere where mice are quite a problem especially in the winter.

I know it's not your house but if you kill rodents with poison and they go off and die in a damp bit under the floor the smell can be an issue. Happened with rats in a house, I know and one was in an accessible area of the solum. In the end, one of these round service holes with plastic cap was put in the floor above the inaccessible section and the offensing cadaver recovered with a long grasper.

Just wire it, let the rats chew through it.

Then you get called back to replace it all again (and charge for it0 because the owner did nowt about their rat problem. :D :D

Conduit sounds like the ultimate way.
Might be a pain but shorter lengths joined together will fit easier wont it.

My short answer - tell owners to stop the vermin getting in. Then poison off all those that remain. Then just use normal cable.
IMO they wont hang about in a property if theres nothing to eat except cables. By now though the mice may have brought in huge supplies, and use the place as a warm dry safe sheltered place to live. They may have been living there for generations!

As others have said, they mostly love exposed and bent bits of cable that go around corners and down into holes. But really, if you have a serious vermin problem, they'll have a go at anything, even straight and tightly clipped cables.

How about some of that spiral wrapping you get to bundle cables together. You can retro fit it. Wonder if you can get it in metal. It might be too big to get their teeth into. I've also used some flexi pvc conduit where cables run through insulation - you can slit it along the length with a hacksaw and it springs back shut really well (for retro fitting). Again - it might be big enough to stop them getting their teeth around it. Only problem with those solutions is that its where the cable exits the sleeving that they'll have a go at, so you might have to run the sleeving right into the back boxes or into the stud work to make sure it's all protected. And of course, given time, they still might get through to the cable in the end.

If the owners aren't going to embark on an anti vermin campaign, surely they'll accept it's going to cost an arm and a leg to fit rodent proof (ie swa) circuitry. Good luck.

Due to the nature of the building, I don't think you would ever stop vermin getting in. If you sealed it all up, they will just gnaw a new hole through somewhere else.

Thye customer has said they will get professional pest control in, so hopefully this should help.

I might leave a few drums of old colours cable on the floor for them to gnaw on, and hope they leave the other wiring alone :LOL:

I think I'll go have another look at the job now I've got a few more suggestions, and see what looks favorite :D

there is a (not very) flexible armoured conduit, steel bandage wound into a spiral with a PVC inner and outer to keep the damp. You can cut with a hacksaw. I would have thought it would be reasonably easy to fit. I think it was 20mm but probably available in other sizes.

It's a bit like the way they do those chrome shower hoses.

Anyone know the stuff I mean?

edited: I see Spark123 does.

Yeah, we use loads of that at work, mainly the plastic coated stuff.

I have used upto 40mm. It might be available even bigger than this. Another option to consider...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back