Rodent proof cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my picture of the week thread, I am now in the position to repair the offending circuit which was damaged by rodents.

Now to avoid this happening again, I have agreed with the client to install something a little more substantial.

I have my own idea for the soloution, but just thought I'd see if I was missing anything obvious.

All the sockets are flush mounted, but the walls are ply boarded studwork. There is a crawl space under the floor to facilitate running the cables from the CU to the various sockets. I would like to reuse as many existing routes as possible just to make the job a bit easier.

Any comments, observations, ideas and inventions more than welcome :D

Sponsored Links
You could use something with an armoured sheath, not sure how appropriate SWA would be. Pyro might work. How about flexiable steel conduit, it isn't being used as a CPC.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any experience of using this stuff? If so, how robust is the sheath?

Also do you have any idea of price per meter?

Do you need special glands to terminarte the ends?

Does the metallic sheath provide mechanical protection or is it foil similar to what you find in FP200?

Just to let you know RF, the bastards can chew through pyro!!!!!!

I know it is expensive solution but SWA?

Or go completely mad, coat the cable in glue (gods knows what type) and roll in bate until it looks like one of those blue liqurice allsorts :LOL:

What ever you do I would be bating and trapping!!!!

not his house, so why would he put down traps, that's the owners problem..

looks like it's either steel trunking and conduit, or metal adaptaflex ( or similar brand.. )

the advantage of trunking is that it can be retro fitted and the cables dropped into it as long as there is enough slack..

or if you can manage, just nail metal capping over the cables as they run..

Thats going to be interesting. 3M length of steel trunking in a 2 foot floor void :LOL:

The customer is getting rentokill in anyway, but we decided belt and braces would be best.

Simple solution?

Clip tight to wall and joists usually works, and use some of that horid galv capping in really exposed areas.

See Pyro minced by rodents. See SWA sheaths damaged, but never the wire armour. SWA seems OTT for a domestic though.

To be honest, even PVC conduit is going to present a struggle to them - 25mm conduit, with T+E. No nee dto worry to much about transitions from conduit to conduit, just butt together an corners etc. It has not got to look neat if under the floor.

Thats my simple ways anyway.

Is Hi-Tuf rodent proof?
Failing that, if all the sockets are in studwork & if you can access all the boxes without making a pig's ear of the decor, you could rewire in SWA.

Or fix galv capping over the cable, connecting each piece with a link-wire.

Then connect the end nearest the CU to an electric fence-type arrangement... :evil:

Just FYI it is a commecial premisis. I think keeping the cable tight to the top of the joists and plenty of poison seems a good compromise.

Might wheel the pyro out. That should be less appealing to them than T&E, and less arkward to install than SWA.

It's my 'holistic' approach Coljack, I also rub coco butter into stretch marks for young ladies after a PIR :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back