Roof with very shallow pitch, need to keep pitch, what should I do, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody I need some advice and guidance, I’ve mucked up a few years back and now I am sort of having to resolve the problem I’ve created. I either must have done the job well first time or more likely the materials I used saved me for this long, what I am talking about is the shallow pitched roof on my timber cabin which I use as a workshop for carpentry.

I bought this cabin 2nd hand in 1995 and had some timber cut to the same profile so that I could make it nearly a meter deeper and wider. The original roof had felt tiles and was in poor condition so I made a new roof for it and had some tiles shipped from Holland at the time (My dad lived over there and could manage to do it cheap back then with an arrangement with the lorry company). I also bought some weird roof covering from Holland, meant for shallow pitched roofs, to be laid on top of the timber roof.

Incidentally the roof is steeper on one side than the other, as one side is much bigger than the other, it’s not an equal split roof over the cabin.

I’m a lot better at stuff now than I was then but I think I missed something back then. Ok the Cabin needed a new roof which I could make but when I made the building wider it effectively made the roof pitch even shallower. I also changed the covering (not sure if the felt tiles would have coped better). Anyway it has lasted more than 20 years with the roof timber (xxxxxmm tongue and grove) before it started to rot in the last year or so in odd patches. The timber has rotted through to the inside in patches creating a soggy bit of wood I can poke my fingers through in the worst places.

The pitch of this roof has ended up at 7degrees and due to the way the tiles lay they are only 1 plus degrees pitch so almost nothing, thank god it ended up at least a step in the right direction rather than backing up on itself.

So I need to replace the timber and see what is going on above to cause the problem.

I have started removing the tiles and so far have found no clumps of debris that I expected. I thought leaves and stuff had blown under and got wet and stayed wet rotting the roof but there is nothing to see yet like this.

Soon I will strip the rotten battens and then the funny plastic ventilated covering. Anybody seen this before? Is it any good?

Anyway I have looked at changing the pitch, or trimming it to be steeper, and it would cause all sorts of problems so I feel I am stuck with the pitch, and I really want to use the same tiles I have just taken off the roof so other than treating it like a flat roof I am looking at what else I can do. My thinking is I could renew the timber and paint it with some sort of black tar like stuff that would seal the timber if I fitted nails or screws into it. I would be tempted to paint the battens with it too to preserve them and create a better seal onto the timber roof.

Is this feasible, is there a substance available to do this?

It lasted over 20 years the first time so I think this method could last longer, if the products are available and reliable.

The whole cabin is virtually under a mass of branches so don’t know if that helped but after seeing the terrible pitch of the tiles I was amazed it’s taken this long to damage the roof timber.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What's the question?

I have to keep the same pitch so what can I cover the timber roof in to waterproof it FULLY but still fit battens to it, so that if any water does get past the tiles it will simply still run off what ever is covering the timber?

Sponsored Links
18mm Plyboard
One layer flat roof felt
Counter battens
Battens
Tiles

Cheers woody, few questions though as I am not a professional roofer,

will it be ok nailing through the felt long term?

would you advise any particular felt for my particular method as its tiles over felt?

Maybe a felt of higher quality that would last much longer (hoping to never have to do this job again in my life time)?

You wouldn't rate a paint on membraine then, one of these rubberised paint on coatings?

Just thinking of the paint on stuff as I could paint the battens too with it(maybe a bit DIY but maybe good still). The battens rotted quite a bit too after the 20 years, don't know if thats normal or down to my poor pitch installation.

You can nail through bitumen felt in this situation, no problem. Use a standard flat roof felt. If not torch on, a cold adhesive product will do.

I forget to state put the normal roofing breathable membrane under the tiles as normal.

Use treated battens. They are blue now, but other tanalised battens will be good enough and last for a very long time - the life of the roof.

I paint on membrane could be used, but check if it will self seal when nailing the counter battens through. Otherwise you'll need to silicone the counter battens at the nail holes.

Cheers woody will do. I will do some research on paint on membranes too to see if there is any particularly good one that lasts a long time.

As a side thing can you tell from this picture what these tiles are made of?

That tile looks like clay.

The flat roof covering does not have to be super high performance, as the tiles and tile membrance do most of the work and weathering, and there is no UV degradation. The idea is that the flat roof felt deals with any blown rain that gets under the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back