Roofer needing advice, slate hooks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, got a large job im pricing, customer wants to use natural slates 10 x 20 fixed using those black slate to batten hooks that they use in france.
Just have a couple of questions, do you batten the roof with normal spacings ?

My thinking is that the roof is battened as normal with an additional batten near the fascia to clip the first row with the verges and eaves course being nailed traditionally ?

How easy are they to use and are they a timesaver /

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have only used them once, definitely saves some time. I nailed the first coarse as normal then clips, there are different lengths or hooks so beware.

You just batten as normal as far as I recall

I know that one of our competitors are using hooks now on all their slate roofs (so I hear), it does make things quicker I believe. If using Brazillian slates I have been informed that it is now a recommendation to use hooks as the slate isn't as stressed as it would be through nailing and reduces waste, also an advantage is it makes replacing a broken / cracked slate much easier and the roof slates as a whole more secure as each slate is held in place in 4 places

Make sure you check on the available sizes of hooks as it does dictate the lap you can have

Sponsored Links
Yes batten the same . They are very easy to use make sure that the slate is of a good grade and not twisted otherwise kick in roof will show . there is a guide to using slate hooks if you need on SSQ slate sight download the hook fixing method

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back