Roofs are supposed to keep the water out... aren't they!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a new house (read that as money pit) and it has had a kitchen extension at some time in the past and this has a flat roof – standard bitumen felt and loose grit cover (supposedly renewed two years ago). With the recent rain we have had a big leak (stream) coming through a screw hole that attaches a window blind to the window alcove.

There is a pipe from another pitched roof extension that seems to run directly onto the roof. This was pouring water over the last few days which is why we noticed the problem. I fixed that by extending the pipe into a drain, but what with the weight of water, the flat roof still leaked… though not as badly as with the pipe run off addition.

My questions are:

1. If the roof has leaked will this have damaged the stuff underneath (I have looked at DIY sites and it looks like there should be chipboard and a couple of other layers beneath) and should it need replacing?
2. What is the best material to use for flat roofs these days – I am tending towards one of the PVC/rubberised type materials as these seem to adapt well to changes in temp and have a good life expectancy.
3. Given that I have never done a repair job of this level before, would you recommend getting a professional firm in to do this? (The roof is about 18 sq m in size, so would this be v expensive)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
jingles said:
What is the best material to use for flat roofs these days
Exterior plywood for bitumen felt roof.

Is it not possible for a low pitch roof then forget about it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back