Roomstat and Programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can I have a recommendation for a programmer and wireless room stat please?

I want the programmer to be able to set hot water or heating to come on at various times of the day. I have a small heat only baxi boiler - hot water stored in the traditional hotwater cylinder. Also, if it's of any relevance the system is gravity fed.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not gravity fed it is an open vent system, it will make a difference if you have gravity hot water they are not the same thing, on your existing setup do you need the HW on to get CH on ?

It is not gravity fed it is an open vent system, it will make a difference if you have gravity hot water they are not the same thing, on your existing setup do you need the HW on to get CH on ?

No, I can have either or. I have a water tank in the loft so that's why I thought it was gravity fed.

Can you recommend a wireless roomstat and programmer to be wired to my boiler (Baxi Solo 2)

As you can have either you will have 1x3 port mid position valve (y plan) or 2x2port valves (S plan) and the controls wire into the wiring centre where these valves are wired to, the dont get wired direct to the boiler, you can use any, you will need a dual channel controller , there are many have a look at nest and hive, you can control them with your phone if you have wfi, but many others stay away from Salus though

Sponsored Links
It is just a thermostat, no good for what you want, read my last post I told you where they get wired into

With a thermostat on your tank and Y Plan not sure why you would want timed domestic hot water? With my gravity system during the summer time is the only control so no option, but with a tank thermostat it takes that long to cool down no real reason to bother turning on/off with timer, clearly want to switch off when you go on holiday, but rest of time leave it on.

As to central heating it is how many times per day? Old house 16°C over night 18°C during the day, and 20°C in evening. However this does not work in this house, as it tends to over shoot, so in the morning it moves 0.5°C per hour, so 7 temperature changes per day. My first programmable thermostat had the option of 4 changes per day, next was 6 and as far as I know there is no limit on my Nest Gen 3.

What I have found is hard wired it does not really matter how expensive, the cheap type seem to work well, in fact with a gas modulating boiler likely the cheaper type are better, but for wireless I got caught out with a Horstmann HRFS1 that lost its RF link and over heated the room, so really want one with two way coms so it fails safe. And as the price raises then very little extra to have one that connects to internet.

So with internet we have Hive, Honeywell Evo Home, Drayton Wiser, Tado, Nest, EPH etc.
So
Nest and EPH do not connect the TRV heads, but EPH you can have multi thermostats set as master slave.
Hive does not have option for OpenTherm, but the way it works with TRV heads does not need it.
EvoHome and Drayton Wiser the OpenTherm is an add on.
The Drayton Wiser TRV heads claim to work out heating rates.

it therefore seems no perfect system, what is needed is to work out which fits your home and life style best, and purse.

yes that would do

Perfect, thankyou.

Any idea on the maximum cost I should pay for installing this? Or, if not cost - time wise, would this be about half a days labour for a local engineer?

that is a complete rip off, it is hardly a big job, I would definately be in and out within an hour, if the new programmer is going in the same place as the old one

that is a complete rip off, it is hardly a big job, I would definately be in and out within an hour, if the new programmer is going in the same place as the old one

I thought it was a rip-off (especially when I saw the costs of the actual materials and did the math). I always come on here to find out what needs doing, purely so I can understand what works has to be done and roughly how what is a fair price. Sometimes, some trades people think you have an open chequebook and a bottomless purse.

There wasn't a programmer previously, so it might take an extra half an hour to wire up. But still, no massive extra to work to justify £450....

Thank you for all your input, really appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back