Rover 45 power steering leak

I've got the alternator removed and the photo shows where the fluid is weeping from, at the top.

1565r0o.jpg

Having used the pressure washer seems to have removed the grime from the joint which was keeping the leak to a slight drip.

If I'm going to try gasket seal or araldite, I'll have to drain the fluid off to stop it flowing out at the leak point.

Which pipe is best to remove to drain the fluid ?

How many litres does the pas system hold ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Seriously the pump has to come off for a real clean if you want that sealant to stick.....wouldn't it be better to pop a replacement on?
The outlet you see is the high pressure one - the other pipe will allow easier drainage. You'll probably get by with a litre of fluid.
John :)

Fair enough but that means doing the coolant system as well since the back end of the unit, I believe, is the water pump so need a new o ring for the pump/engine block seal and I suppose the ac pump has to come off to get to the lower bolts.

On the plus side, I sourced a replacement for £30, 1/2 the price of this one I found on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-45-...-WATER-PUMP-/351163381327?hash=item51c2f7f64f

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Well, nowt to stop you giving it a bash. Carburettor cleaner is probably the best degreaser known to man.
Be lucky!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hopefully job sorted.

I took the low pressure feed pipe of at the reservoir to drain the fluid out of the pump.
Washed the top of the pump off with petrol - three times.
Applied some high temp silicon gasket seal along the joint like a weld bead and left it to cure for two days.
Reassembled all.
Filled the reservoir and started the engine up to bleed it.

So far the fluid in the reservoir has not dropped and no signs of drips on the drive !

I just completed an extensive repair on the pas pump.

None available at the local breakers.

I'd tried leak stopper over a few months but no effect.

Its not such a hard job to remove the pas pump with alternator removed, ac pump loosened off and pushed to one side and pas pump pulley removed.

If you need that bit extra space at the front of the engine, loosen the offside engine mount.

With the pas/water pumps bracket away from the engine, I removed the pas pump, cleaned it and applied silicon all the round the joint seal. Also replace all the pipe joint o rings and dowty seals.

Whats the best way to get dexron 3 fluid staines of paving bricks ? .......... if anyone can advise please, thanks.

Silicon around outside of the pump ? That will last about a week if you're lucky

I'm thinking that the oil will be building behind the film of silicone and trying to push it off. I remember something with a name like Oilite Stick that you could use in circumstances like yours. No idea if it worked though

I presuming that the joint where I've applied the sealant is the lower pressure side -

2zylgnk.jpg

If it works, all well and good. If not, hopefully ebay will be kind to me. Its actually not too hard a job to remove the pas pump.

Sponsored Links
Back