Rover 45 TD drive shaft removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be removing the drive shafts to change the CV joints shortly.

Do the drive shafts simply pull out at the gearbox end?

Does the gearbox need to be bunged up to prevent oil dripping out whilst the drive shafts are removed ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, they do, sometimes with the help of a broad screwdriver. Just collect the oil in a clean bowl, if you wish to reuse it.
The offside shaft will have its carrier bearing that will need to be unbolted, and do one side at a time.....the biggest faff is releasing the bottom ball joint, as a rule. Undo the driveshaft nut with the car on the deck.
John :)

I didn't remove the drive shafts, merely used vice grips locked on to the shaft and wedged up against the inside of the suspension arm. One good knock with the hammer and the CV slid off.

For the price you can get CV joints from the likes of ebay, if a boot does split, you may as well just replace the CV too.

Regarding the lower ball joint on the Rover 45, I find that its splits easily if you get a trolley jack with chock of wood on the slipper and lift with the disc hub resting on the wood. With the suspension lifted a decent height, hit the lower arm near the joint and it gives.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back