Rules on Flues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to start a big project at home and have come up against an issue with my nextdoor neighbour regarding the positioning of his central heating bolier flue. Can anyone tell me what clearance there needs to be around the cage for it to be legal - or can anyone point me in the right direction on the "t'internet" for a copy of the relevant legislation.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
recommended distance around the terminal for a terminal guard is 50mm on all faces.

Nickso is correct for the distances from the flue terminal to the inside of the cage, but do you mean from the outside of the cage to a new extension for example? If so we would need to know the make and model of boiler ;)

Regardless of when it was fitted it shouldn't discharge across your boundary in my view, it shouldn't be positioned directly on your land, both massive installation errors from yesteryear which are only now coming to light as products of combustion are more visible though no worse.

Positioning has always had to take into account the possibility that the neighbour might extend up to the boundary, should not impede your plans, and should it, then you have an issue to explore together.

I had a neighbour whose band D boiler flue directly on my land, it bothered me no end when it powereed up on a cold morning. I now live directly across the road asnd have been called to repair said boiler. I said that if I ever have to replace it it can't go back where it is, and anyway it should never have been fitted there in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies and the advice within them.

It is the distance from the cage to our proposed extension that is of interest to us. My neighbours have an old (20 year old) glow worm wall mounted boliler.

Depending on the hat output of the boiler you will need at least 600mm all around their flue to any walls or internal/external corners. No flue should now disperse over a neighbours boundary and should be a minimum of 600mm from the flue to the boundary, although this last reg is for current boilers so would not be retrospective in terms of their boiler, but may be in terms of your new extension!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back