Running 2.5mm cable next to hot water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just purchased my first house and had new central heating fitted, where I removed a wall I have a recess of about 4" wide. I want to use this to run pipes And 2.5mm cable they will both be covered and then concreted in. Is this OK or will they still effect each other?

Sponsored Links
It is not good practise to run cable near hot water pipes.
Cables get warm under load and they can overheat if there are external influences, like hot pipes, insulation materials, etc

Give yourself at least 50mm space between cables and pipes.

It should be OK if you run them as far apart as possible. a 15mm hot water pipe run at one side should give you a good 60 or 70mm between it and the cable.

Sponsored Links
Will the cable be in a 'safe zone'?
It's not totally clear (at least, not to me!) what the OP meant, but we were told that the cable (and pipe) will be 'concreted in'. Does concrete not count as adequate mechanical protection per 522.6.101(iv)?

Kind Regards, John.

It's not clear to me either, which is why I asked. If this is a wall and the wire is 25mm below the surface and covered with concrete, and I came along to mount a shelf, the concrete would in no way stop me drilling through the cable.

Will the cable be in a 'safe zone'?
It's not totally clear (at least, not to me!) what the OP meant, but we were told that the cable (and pipe) will be 'concreted in'. Does concrete not count as adequate mechanical protection per 522.6.101(iv)?
May even be >50mm.

That's an interesting point re. the concrete and 522.6.101(iv).
Presumably, if concrete is able to be applied it will be 'reasonably' deep anyway

It does say 'nails, screws and the like' - not more destructive forces.

That's an interesting point re. the concrete and 522.6.101(iv). Presumably, if concrete is able to be applied it will be 'reasonably' deep anyway It does say 'nails, screws and the like' - not more destructive forces.
Exactly - so I suspect this is another poorly thought-through bit of the regs. As you say, I think that any reasonable depth of concrete would probably satisfy the actual literal wording of 522.6.101(iv) (protection against 'nails, screws and the like') although, in practice, this would/could be a dangerous situation. Anyone trying to fit anything in that position would usually be using a masonry drill, which would happily whizz through an embedded cable without any warning.

Mind you, on reflection, and although I'm not certain, I suspect we are probably actually talking about a floor (not wall), in which case it's much less likely that anyone will be drilling into it. If that were the case, we'd be talking about 522.6.100(v), rather than 522.6.101(iv) - but they both say exactly the same!

Kind Regards, John.

Mind you, on reflection, and although I'm not certain, I suspect we are probably actually talking about a floor (not wall), in which case it's much less likely that anyone will be drilling into it. If that were the case, we'd be talking about 522.6.100(v), rather than 522.6.101(iv) - but they both say exactly the same!
I didn't read 522.6.100 properly - that relates to cables passing through joists in floors (or ceilings). Where is the reg relating to cables buried in conctere floors?

Kind Regards, John.

, where I removed a wall I have a recess of about 4" wide.
I was thinking it was the wall. Can you have a recess in the floor? Of course, you may be correct.
I think we all initially interpreted it as a wall. However, when I thought deeper, the 'gap' (quite possibly 4" wide) that one gets 'where one removes a wall' is likely to be in the floor (and/or ceiling), isn't it? Conversely, how can one have a recess in a wall that no longer exists? :) We obviously need clarification from OP.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back