Running 2.5mm cable next to hot water pipe

OK, what if I say 'masonry nail'.
I was waiting for that one!

The point surely is that no form of barrier will mechanically protect a cable against a 'material-appropriate' attempt to attach a fixing - e.g. even if it were 1" thick steel, someone might drill into it for an attachment - so what (if anything) do you believe would satisfy 522.6.101(iv)?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Where is the reg relating to cables buried in conctere floors?
I don't know. Does that mean it should not be done? Mind, I have never wanted/needed to.
It sounds like a particularly silly idea - but, there again, so does the burying of pipework in concrete floors which seems to have become quite fashionable with 'recent builds'. Although I can't currently think of where, there surely must be something in the regs about this? Anyone?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
The point surely is that no form of barrier will mechanically protect a cable against a 'material-appropriate' attempt to attach a fixing - e.g. even if it were 1" thick steel, someone might drill into it for an attachment - so what (if anything) do you believe would satisfy 522.6.101(iv)?
I'd consider mechanical protection as barrier made of a material that will resist fixing attempts appropriate for the material it is embedded in. So for example in a masonary wall I would think mechanical protection should protect against masonary nails and masonary drills.

I'd consider mechanical protection as barrier made of a material that will resist fixing attempts appropriate for the material it is embedded in. So for example in a masonary wall I would think mechanical protection should protect against masonary nails and masonary drills.
That would be reasonable (even though the regs don't actually say that). Are you therefore suggesting that the mechanical protection always has to be made out of a material different from the materials of which the wall is constructed (e.g. metal protection would not be acceptable in a metal partition wall)?

Kind Regards, John.

It might be a different metal - like the anti-drill inserts in brass locks.

It might be a different metal - like the anti-drill inserts in brass locks.
Fair enough. I'll therefore re-phrase what I wrote to read "e.g. metal protection would not be acceptable in a partition wall constructed using the same metal".

Kind Regards, John.

Hi, I've just purchased my first house and had new central heating fitted, where I removed a wall I have a recess of about 4" wide. I want to use this to run pipes And 2.5mm cable they will both be covered and then concreted in. Is this OK or will they still effect each other?

I take it you mean removing the wall left a 4" recess in the concrete floor which you can utilise. Sounds ok to run pipes and cables in it. Keep the cables away from the pipes. It's usual to cover the cables in pvc round conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back