Running 2 boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well basically we are due to move into our new house in a few weeks, it has a new worcestor boiler in bedroom 1 (approx 1 year old) for the central heating and an imersion heater for the water in a cupboard in the bathroom, when we viewed the house i was over the moon that it had an all but new worcestor that i assumed was a combi until the second viewing when i realised there was an imersion in a cupboard that we didnt notice, but anyway would i be better taking out the immersion heater and having a seperate boiler for the hot water or having extra pipework added and get a new combi? and if so would the single worcestor be worth much to sell on? and would i get much weighing in the copper from immersion, also what am i looking to pay for a half decent combi inc fitting and extra pipework or for another single and fitting and whats a good boiler to go for please, ive included a rough plan below and any help would be great thanks

532217_10151020354467390_1558865238_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Keep the worcester and hot water tank it will be a more reliable combination and deliver faster water supply than a combi.
It is more than likely that the worcester is actually heating the hot water tank rather than the immersion.

You don't say if the hot water tank is mains fed or fed from a tank in the loft. If you find you want mains pressure hot water for a shower you can change the tank to an unvented cylinder or add a shower pump.

You have the advantage that should the boiler fail you have immersion heater for hot water backup.

Hi and thanks for your reply, well when we went to the second and third viewing we noticed the immersion tank was warm, so assume it was on at the time, as the people who owned the house arent living there so assume its on all the time, is it not going to cost a fortune to keep the immersion running though? as we all will only use the electric shower 99% of the time anyway so the hot water would only be used for washing up and washing hands and the odd blue moon bath really

also not sure on feed, there is a tank in the loft but no idea how its fed

Sponsored Links
As mentioned above. I would keep the hot water cylinder if you have enough space. Id imagine the worcester boiler is heating the cylinder anyway, is there a clock/programmer to turn the heating on? Does it have a switch or button on it saying hot water on it? If so this is how you control the on/off times for the water.
It may be a different setup but usually this is the case.
There may also be a back up immersion for the cylinder ran by electricity which is handy if the worcester ever breaks down. Might be worthwhile following the power cable from it if there is one to the switch to make sure its off.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply mate, yes space isnt an issue it was more the running costs if it was only being run by electric and thought most house dont have this set up anymore i havent looked at the boiler properly to be honest but will try get in there soon and take a look, and get some pics of it as its all alien to me im affraid

actually i did take some pics i will just upload them and post them up

In the bathroom pic the cupoard with immersion in, is just viewable to the left of the pic and the boiler is pretty much behind the shower in the boys room

2012-07-01114034.jpg

2012-07-01114047.jpg

2012-07-01114135.jpg

2012-07-01114600.jpg

The worcester is heating up the water inside the cylinder and is programmed on and off at certain times with the control panel to the right that says siemens on it. The white wire coming from the top of the cylinder is the immersion., this is only used as a back up if boiler breaks down. ie. you're not heating the water with electricity, its getting heated by a coil which runs through the water in the cylinder

Nice pics, can you change your user name to Drunk in keeping with whatever installed it.

Definitely heated by the boiler but it needs a few hundred quid re-piping around the cylinder and adding 1-2 motorized valves.

Under the boiler is a black spanner.

Where is what it undos?

The worcester is heating up the water inside the cylinder and is programmed on and off at certain times with the control panel to the right that says siemens on it. The white wire coming from the top of the cylinder is the immersion., this is only used as a back up if boiler breaks down. ie. you're not heating the water with electricity, its getting heated by a coil which runs through the water in the cylinder

Ah i see now thats good news for me then right? so if you guys had this set up would you leave as it is?

Nice pics, can you change your user name to Drunk in keeping with whatever installed it.

Definitely heated by the boiler but it needs a few hundred quid re-piping around the cylinder and adding 1-2 motorized valves.

Haha :) it was actually done by british gas, so does it look bad then? i can see it looks a bit of a maze but does it really need the pipework changing? as its all hidden away in the cupboard anyway, and whats these motorised valves that you mention please?

Under the boiler is a black spanner.

Where is what it undos?

Sorry mate i didnt spot your post, its literally just out of shot above the boiler on the right side wall some sort of filter if i remember right, well assume its for that anyway

Depends when it was installed but it would be contrary to the regs now.

A 3 post valve would give you better control over the hot water and heating.

2 x 2port would do the same, and in either case make the boiler/system much more efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back