Running!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a moment of pure madness, i've signed myself up for a 10km run this October. I'm getting sponsorship for charity, but what i'm after from DIYnot is advice from anyone who has any experience of running! I've not run more than a few 100metres since i left school over 14 years ago, and i've never run as far as 10km so i'm starting to think i've made a huge mistake!! Got a bit of weight to lose first too as that wont help my cause!!

I keep telling myself that 10km isn't THAT far!!

Anyone who can offer advice on training, what to wear, what i'll need etc.. it would be greatfully received. Thank You!!

Sponsored Links
Proper running shoes are a must. If you don't get the correct shoes that match the way you run you will regret it.

Visit a running shoe shop (not your local jjb) where they can check your gait.

Take it steady at first and up your distance gradually. When you start achieving your goals you will only want to keep doing it. It sucks whilst you are doing it but afterwards you will feel a natural high.

Good luck.

10K is achievable in 6 months, the only thing that can stop you, is you ;)

Which bit of Derbys.?

Mrs Secure runs 5K's, 10K's, Half marathons & does Tri's, all over the place.

Most scenic was Harlech Tri. Great views.

She gets her shoes from Sweatshop, Asics.

Firstly I recommend joining a gym to have regular use of a treadmill

After purchasing some running trainers, for now a pair of classic will suffice, once your running at longer distance maybe ASICS or similar vented material type

Start off on treadmill at a leisurely jog at 6KMH and just maintain this for as long as you can, chances are at some point your heart will start to beat very very fast this is when you take the speed down to about 4KMH, then when your heartbeat has gone back down take the speed back up to 6KMH

The point of this is to build up your stamina to running, eventually you will be able to run 6KMH for longer and longer, dont be tempted to go faster because you will just burn out quicker which is defeating the object if you want to train to run 10KM without stopping

6KMH for me is the point were I stop walking fast and go into a jog, for you it may be different but keep the speed low and aim to maintain for as long as possible

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the advice, I know I can run 2km relatively easy, so that's where i'm going to start from and see how I go. Definately be building up gradually.

I have been told that Asics are the shoes to go for - you guys seem to confirm that!.

Secures - I live in the hilly bit of Derbyshire - The High Peak - so not ideal to start off easy! The run is in Sheffield - the BUPA Great Yorkshire Run.

EFC - really don't fancy training in the gym - can't think of anything more boring! And besides that, I can't afford a gym membership at the moment. Think i'm going to have to do my training in the great ourdoors - and at least i've got the scenery for it here!! I understand that the treadmill will help me with the pacing but i'm not sure its for me!?

Off to get some gear this weekend, then first run either over the weekend or next week. Will let you know how it goes!

When training and on the day of the race - any tips on what to eat? Should I try not to eat before, or are there certain foods I SHOULD eat to give me the energy to get through it?

I have been told that Asics are the shoes to go for - you guys seem to confirm that!.

Be careful..Asics do a whole range of different types (cushioned/neutral/support/motion control)

If you get the wrong ones your knees will let you know.

As mentioned previously get the right running equipment that suits you.
I would set myself targets, you may not always achieve them but gives you something to aim for.
First thing you need to do is get some air in the lungs, get your heart pumping.
Start off with a mile, run at a slow to steady pace (something you feel comfortable with but try to get the heart pumping), you don't need to run the full distance, take rests by walking if you need to but do the mile.
If you think you have a little more in you go for it but don't over do it.
Run about three times a week alternate days then rest.
Time yourself take records of distances and times. I know your not wanting to break world records but it helps to chart your progress.
Slowly increase you distances and pace, but remember you can walk it out if needs be, until your fitness improves, your body will tell you.
Believe me it's amazing what the human body can do, all of a sudden you've feel great and it's wonderful buzz. You'll be hitting your distances and lowering your PBs real quick.
But remember rest is important, as is a bit of diverse training, on one of your rest days during the week, jump on a bike or go for a walk, try a bit of swimming. Use those other muscles, this helps with fitness levels and stamina.
Good diet and plenty water are also key elements.
There will be days when you don't feel up to it, there always is but get your arse out there and do it.

Because of your weight problem plan this in advance for the day of the run. Wear some really loose lightweight clothing and on the day of the run get a load of balloons filled up with Helium and pack then into your clothing. This should give you a more buoyant feel to your gait however if its windy you may have problems staying on course. :D

Because of your weight problem plan this in advance for the day of the run. Wear some really loose lightweight clothing and on the day of the run get a load of balloons filled up with Helium and pack then into your clothing. This should give you a more buoyant feel to your gait however if its windy you may have problems staying on course. :D

Thanks wreckedit - good idea. Happily though, i'm not THAT much overweight, probably need to lose a stone to be at my 'ideal' weight - i'm hoping the training will deal with that before October...

PBoD - thanks for the tips. A mile sounds like a good starting distance to me! Running three times a week is going to take some planning with two young children and a full time job. We've got a shower a work but it doesn't work - might have to get the gaffa to get that sorted so I can do a bit at lunchtimes!! Already started on improving the diet - starting eating more green things a couple of weeks ago and started replacing every other cup of tea with a glass of water! Will have to dig the bike out of the back of the shed - I don't do swimming!!

I'm hoping to ultimately do the 10km in around 1hour - but that time might get revised upwards once i've done a bit of training - when it comes to it, i'll be happy to complete the distance at all, no matter how long it takes.

Don't forget the carbs, a must for the energy levels of a runner.
Eat little but often turn the three meals a day into five or six but smaller portions, wholemeal pasta and bread, plenty dietary fibers.
Your only a little bit porky, so your fitness levels should be achieved quite quickly.
If you are determined to succeed you will find time, I have no doubt you can crack it.

Stick plasters over the nipples, and if you can't find anyone willing, stick them on your own nipples. :D

Thanks guys for the advice, I know I can run 2km relatively easy

If you haven't ran for a while then I doubt you could run 2k without stopping several times, I have been going the gym on and off for many years and after a long gap of many months I certainly cant keep up a run of 2k for very long, after going to gym maybe 2-3 times only then could I do that

EFC - really don't fancy training in the gym - can't think of anything more boring! And besides that, I can't afford a gym membership at the moment. Think i'm going to have to do my training in the great ourdoors

Gym's nowadays here in Liverpool have TV screens attached to the treadmills, headphone socket on them too welfare TV plus I think 1 other, £25 per month in our council run gyms means gym plus pool and probably other stuff - look into exactly what it will cost before you make your decision

Another reason why a gym would be good is after a long run on the treadmill a good swim in the pool plus sauna/steam room brings your leg muscles back to life, with me its almost as if I have never been on the treadmill as oppose to having aching muscles for a few days

I understand that the treadmill will help me with the pacing but i'm not sure its for me!?

I find it boring as hell too, but some fast paced dance tunes help you keep up the pace, at the beginning set yourself some very low targets like 2k and after a few weeks go up to 4k

When training and on the day of the race - any tips on what to eat? Should I try not to eat before, or are there certain foods I SHOULD eat to give me the energy to get through it?

Couple of bananas an hour before training should be good

Running, the luxury!
Used to run 3-5 miles every other night. Because I enjoyed it.
Various leg injuries put a stop to that.
Swimming now, nice way to stay reasonably fit.

Sponsored Links
Back