Sagging Supply Cables

Sponsored Links
If I recall about 15mm diameter. Though if the existing is in fair condition they'll more than likely just reclip it
Although he does say this is a TP supply...
Indeed - the clue is in the four singles :)

As I said before, the link posted by Wontdothatagain seems to indicate that 3-core 25mm² straight con is about 22.9mm diameter.

Kind Regards, John.

Defiantly leave it to the dno. The insulation could be cracked or deuterating, you grab hold to put a new cleat on and the next thing you are laying draped across that bird feeder.
I'm quite impressed. The man from the DNO appeared within a few hours of me calling them, and reclipped the cables (metal ladder and no PPE!).

He described what he did as 'temporary', not because he felt there was anything wrong with the existing cables, but because 'they didn't look very neat' - and is therefore going to arrange for a 'proper job' to be done at some point. He said he thought they would probably replace the cable with 4 twisted singles (that's actually what comes from the pole to the buiding at present), not straight con, which rather surprised me.

He also told me (showed me on his laptop) that the supply is PMEd, with the nearest PME earth stake at the pole providing my supply,and suggested that I could therefore use their neutral as a TN-C-S/PME earth if I wanted - that certainly surprised me (not that I would want to do that - I'm quite happy with my TT electrode!).

Kind Regards, John.

replace the cable with 4 twisted singles (that's actually what comes from the pole to the buiding at present), not straight con, which rather surprised me.

Surprises me as well as the version of that we use is single insulated and we cannot use it clipped to buildings

Sponsored Links
replace the cable with 4 twisted singles (that's actually what comes from the pole to the buiding at present), not straight con, which rather surprised me.
Surprises me as well as the version of that we use is single insulated and we cannot use it clipped to buildings
I see. It will be interesting to see what they turn up with if/when they come to do 'the proper job'. Given that the main idea seemed to be 'to make it look neater', I'm not sure that this liquorice-like stuff would be too pleasing to the eye if clipped to a wall, even if it were 'double-insulated' and hence 'allowed'.

Kind Regards, John.

I'm not sure that this liquorice-like stuff

I don't know if I should comment on that, other than to tell you that it is banned by planners in the Lake District National Park!

It does look pretty cack swinging from pole to pole, although I guess it is what you get used too!

Never seen it attached to a building, as said being single insulated and not designed to be clipped.

Never seen it attached to a building, as said being single insulated and not designed to be clipped.
Odd. This chap seemed to generally be very clued up, and said that he'd been doing the job for 30 years, so I wonder if they perhaps have a double-insulated version for clipping to buildings?

Kind Regards, John.

This ABC cable (aerial bunched conductors) is designed, as the name suggests, to be strung between poles in place of the bare overhead lines.

It has only been around for 5 or 6 years at a guesstimate.

It has only been around for 5 or 6 years at a guesstimate.

A bit longer than that, possibly mid/late 90's.
Its horrible stuff, cores are identified by ridges in the insulation, solid aluminium conductors & XLPE insulation.
To erect it we need special fittings and connectors! About all it is good for is using through wooded areas as it is insulated.

This ABC cable (aerial bunched conductors) is designed, as the name suggests, to be strung between poles in place of the bare overhead lines. It has only been around for 5 or 6 years at a guesstimate.
I'm at a disadvantage here, because I'm not familiar with the various cables or what they are called.

The cable which travels from the pole to the building here looks like four twisted black-insulated singles and it's been there for an awful lot longer than 5-6 years. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow.

What I also don't know for sure is what the DNO man was talking about when he referred to clipping a 'twisted singles' cable to the wall here. He did point at the aerial cable (as above) and said 'like that' - but whether that meant 'similar in concept' or 'exactly the same', I don't know.

Kind Regards, John.

It can be done as there is an outer sleeve available that slips over the singles. I'm still not convinced about the aesthetics of it.

(ABC = Aerial Bundled Conductor)

It can be done as there is an outer sleeve available that slips over the singles. I'm still not convinced about the aesthetics of it. (ABC = Aerial Bundled Conductor)

Maybe that's what he meant - although, like you, I'm far from convinced about the aesthetics. Is this perhaps a 'regional' thing - he seemed to be talking as if what he was referring to was 'standard practice' (or, at least, common practice) in this area, and he looked at me a bit strangely when I asked if they used straight con for this sort of thing, saying that 3-core concentric would be 'rather a fat cable'.

In passing, no-one has yet commented on my:
He also told me (showed me on his laptop) that the supply is PMEd, with the nearest PME earth stake at the pole providing my supply,and suggested that I could therefore use their neutral as a TN-C-S/PME earth if I wanted - that certainly surprised me (not that I would want to do that - I'm quite happy with my TT electrode!).
He appeared to be saying that I ('my electrician') could simply use the DNO's neutral block as a PME earth. Quite apart from the fact that, for whatever reason, that (separate) neutral block has a DNO seal on it, this seemed a rather odd thing for him to suggest. "Discuss" :)

Kind Regards, John

Either
he or his employer have accepted that seals get broken left right and centre
or
he didn't inspect the cutout and realise there is no separate earth block
or
he expects you to get someone else from the DNO to provide the connection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back