Sagging Supply Cables

Interesting thread. If I was the ops neighbour, I certainly would not be having his supply clipped or otherwise to my building, unless I was paid a very reasonable rate per annum by the supplier. What would the supply company do in this instance if I refused to have their property to be stuck on my building?
I agree. However, we are dealing with 'history' here. In the fairly distant past, "my neighbour's property" was part of what is now 'my house', so there was obviously no issue about the mural cables. I guess that when the property was split up, whoever purchased "my neighbour's bit" thereoretically did so in the knowledge that those cables existed and was therefore deemed to accept (maybe, even, formally accepted) the situation - and I guess that 'acceptance' has passed to subsequent purchasers. Anyway, there's a bit of 'quid pro quo', since (for similar reasons), the water supply pipes to my neighbour pass through my cellar (thereby theoretically requiring MPB 'at both ends') - I suppose I could theoretically object to that!

Whatever, it looks as if my supply is probably going to end up coming overhead directly to my property. Whether my neighbour will actually be pleased about that is another matter, since removal of the present cables will leave a bit of a mess which will probably require him to repaint his wall!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
... and I would add that the garden of 'my poor neighbour' also enjoys the pole (per earlier photos) from which my supply comes!

Kind Regards, John.

That makes more sense I suppose.

I used to have a supply pole in my garden, but I remember I was paid a certain amount by them for that.

In my property I sold last year that I lived in for 10 years, I had power cables for other peoples houses running overhead above my garden, I objected to this and after 2 years of moaning they took it down and put underground cables to all 20 or so houses in the cul-de-sac, which got rid of a massive eye sore.

That makes more sense I suppose.
Well, at least it's an explanation for how the situation arose. The historical 'splitting' of my property (into 3 parts) results in all sorts of issues which have the potential to keep lawyers amused for hours - flying freeholds, service pipes, drains and cables traversing each other's properties, various 'right of access issues' and goodness knows what else. Indeed, when I moved in (about 24 years ago), I even had some switches in my house which operated lights in the neighbours' houses :)

I used to have a supply pole in my garden, but I remember I was paid a certain amount by them for that.
ISTR my neighbour telling me that the deeds of his property contain an agreement for the Electricity Company to pay, literally, 'a peppercorn' rent for siting the pole in his property. When he's moaned about it in the past, they've been very prerpared to re-site it, move the cables underground or whatever - but at his cost!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
When he's moaned about it in the past, they've been very prerpared to re-site it, move the cables underground or whatever - but at his cost!

It's always good to follow advice and read the small print of any agreement!

When he's moaned about it in the past, they've been very prerpared to re-site it, move the cables underground or whatever - but at his cost!
It's always good to follow advice and read the small print of any agreement!
He did get some legal advice way back, and the suggestion was that the Electricity Company was so seriously in breach of the 'big print' of their contract (not having paid a single pepperorn for decades!) that he could probably simply demand that they removed it - at their cost! There was also some talk of him setting fire to it, but I never heard any more of that one :)

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back