same old question ? plastic or copper ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about this , as it's been asked many times before i'm sure but a one word answer will be great please.
I've built an extension that will require central heating , toilet and a small showerto be fitted. Last time i did some plumbing i used all plastic and had no problems but i feel the wife and i will be he for amny a year so this is a long term job and many still say platic is not so good for long term .
So.
Bearing in mind i have no tools for doing copper ( yet ? ) what do you reckon to use.

Copper or plastic pipework and fittings ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am happy with Polypipe and Hep20 systems. Plastic seems to be reliable these days if properly done and there are some advantages in installation.

No 50 year guarantee on copper pipe & fittings!

Sorry, this is not an answer but I want clarification on BR differences between copper and plastic. I hope this will also be useful to the OP.

Due to bonding requirements, is new copper plumbing to bathrooms notifiable under Part P?

I've replaced copper with plastic barrier pipe to avoid bonding. Otherwise I'd have to run new 10mm² bonding conductor and have it inspected. The old conductor was only 6mm².

Finally, do I need to bond 400mm of copper pipe feeding brass exterior hose tap through kitchen wall from barrier pipe?

Sponsored Links
Due to bonding requirements, is new copper plumbing to bathrooms notifiable under Part P?

No.

Part P is about electrical work only. However, if you are worried about bonding, ask your question over on the UK electricians forum.

plastic out of sight, copper where it can be seen and with plastic there are no joins you cant access (or there shouldent be)

plastic out of sight, copper where it can be seen and with plastic there are no joins you cant access (or there shouldent be)

If there's plastic out of sight and copper where visible, surely there'll be inaccessible joints somewhere won't there? Or am I missing something!?

Access panels ;)

Can't do that everywhere though... laminate, tiles etc etc.

Having said that plastic is far better than when it first came out, that grey unbarriered stuff gave it a really bad rep for blocking up! I've had to repipe loads of systems because of that.

Yes don't forget an access panel over every plastic Mickey Mouse fitting so when they start to drip or blow off you can push them back together.

Real plumbers plumb in lead.

Or copper.

Real plumbers plumb in lead.

Or copper. :confused:

How I wish I was a real plumber :p

Get real, copper fittings can leak has well or are you one of these plumbers that never has a leak, :LOL:

I'm not even a plumber just a Diy'er.

Its just I have a sister and friend who both live in new houses and both have had plastic fittings fail. :(

Multiple houses on my sisters estate have had serious water damage.

Plastic failures I have only seen where they were not fitted correctly.

If done correctly they are reliable enough to put where soldered fittings go.

It's compression fittings that need access as they are susceptible to physical pipe stress causing leaks. Push fits can accomodate a lot of stress on the pipe.

copper has a track record

jurys still out on plastic

plastic here is all solvent tried and tested

50 year grnt aint worth diddly

company will have been bought out twice by then :rolleyes:

Plastic pipe's for hot and cold water services have been in use for over 30 years in this country and even longer in the rest of the world :)

The problem is not the plastic itself but the build quality of the fittings :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back