Sanders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what the difference is in a belt and an orbital sander is?

Is a belt sander used for more heavy duty sanding and an orbital sander for lighter duties?

I was looking at Screwfix's Ferm range, with a 3year warranty they seem like a good deal. I need to sand floorboards, I was thinking of getting the 4" belt sander, currently being sold for £34.99, does anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
belt sanders are great because if you get two you can strap one to each foot and never have to walk to the pub again. :LOL:

For an area of floorboards you would be better off with the belt sander because it will make light work of it but you may also need an orbital or detail sander to finish around the edges.

You would be correct in saying that a belt sander is for heaver work, It is a lot faster than the orbital sander but does not leave a very fine finish on softwoods. It would be good to know what size of area you intend sanding. If it is anyway large, I would recommend hiring a floor sander. They are basically much larger versions of the handheld tools and can be got in both belt and orbital. For smaller areas you could hire a fairly large belt sander (like the one you say but larger). I have no experience of 'ferm' but with a 3-year warranty, at that price you couldn’t go far wrong.

Sponsored Links
marky_lad said:
I was looking at Screwfix's Ferm range, with a 3year warranty they seem like a good deal. I need to sand floorboards, I was thinking of getting the 4" belt sander, currently being sold for £34.99, does anyone have any experience of this?
Mark

Did you end up buying this ? Cos I'm looking at the same one from them.

I shouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer from marky_lad his last post was on FEB 11th 2004.

post your question asking has any one used it and what are their opinion, you will get a better responce

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back