Scale protection on a Combi boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to change my system over from an open heating system with F&E tank to a sealed system using a condensing combi boiler. After flushing out all the rads i guess some Fernox will do the trick for the heating system. But i'm wondering if, without buying a water softener that i can find a reasonable priced scale protector for the cold water inlet to the boiler? Also, do they actually work? :)

Sponsored Links
The electrolytic ones apparently do work but are rarely seen.

The ones which do not work are those which use mains power and wrap some wires round the pipes!

The ones which use a chemical called Siliphos do work but need the chemical replaced each year which gets forgotten. The residue also causes carbonates to be deposited in drains which can block.

There is a divergence of opinion on the magnetic type. I know that they do work to an extent and they are the type that I would recommend.

But a properly installed combi of the traditional design with a diverter valve doe not need a scale reducer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back