Scale watchers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are peoples opinions of these gadgets called scale watchers ? they claim to cut down lime scale in the pipe work, washing machines etc...is there any scientific evidence they work? if they do why dont water authorities endorse them?

Sponsored Links
I have read the earlier posts on this topic and just thought I'd add my own experience.

I have had one of these for 6 months and it DOES work. BUT, you have to bear in mind that it is a "scale reducer" and not a fully fledged "water softener".

Our water is extremely hard, and wherever it splashes and evaporates, we used to get white spots/marks/scaling from the hardness eg around the taps, on our green (ugh sorry!!) washbasin/bath and tiles after rinsing etc. These white marks and scaling have now disappeared, but we still get scum when soap is used (though this has reduced.) The instructions for our descaler say that it is not effective where the water comes into contact with high heat eg the kettle element and iron - so for these we still use a filter jug.

For anyone who can't have a chemical water softener, then the descaler is definitely better than nothing, but don't expect it to be the bees' knees.

Hope this helps!

This must be the only anecdote supporting this type of device. There are no verifiable, independent studies carried out on these devices.

Sponsored Links
JMM, can you explain scientifically how your "scale reducer" actually works?

You say your water is "extremely hard" ! Which area of London do you live in?

Tony

I had a chat at an exhibition with one of the big hw cylinder makers. They did some trials with various devices, and found that some of them helped sometimes. In some installations they made little, or zero, difference.

The problem many of us have with the things is that, especially with the more high-tec sounding ones, the explanations they give for how they work, are nonsense.

It's very simple certain laylines suffer invasion of zootons from a far away galaxy, but also some are emitted sub aurally from holes deep in the ocean bed. If you are unfortunate to live in one of these areas you might end up in a straight jacket through no fault of your own.

About ten years ago we had quite a few worcester 9.24s calorifiers scaled up and we put the hydroflo electronic for existing systems type on trial and they did work took about 3 weeks but HW delivery was vastly improved and nuisance pilot tripping due to over heating stopped

I know from the experience of the launderette industry that the magnetic type do work to a good extent when installed appropriately.

The magnetic field from the permanent magnet types is very strong. The electronic type produce a field about a thousand times less. I dont see that can be doing very much.

Tony

oilman said:
This must be the only anecdote supporting this type of device.
I've seen others, but here's one just for you oilman:

Mine works. :D

Agile said:
The electronic type produce a field about a thousand times less. I dont see that can be doing very much.
Is it blissful to be that igorant?

Maybe we should be putting Magnacleans in our water mains?

No the in line magnetic cleaner is a third the price and exposes the water flow more fully to the magnetic field.

One feature of the magnetic conditioner is that the water has a short term memory and looses the effect within a few hours.

That means that its no use filling a storage cistern from a mag unit.

However its fine on a cold feed to a combi boiler!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back